Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer very slow start up

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you know how to check the hard drive transfer rate in the bios do it and set it to the highest number of DMA available to you...usually 5 or 6
or do this...
Right click on my computer...then properties..

Click on the ...Hardware tab then the ...Device Manager... click the + beside IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
Right click on the Primary IDE channel and choose ...Uninstall.......Accept the change..then reboot let Windows reinstall the channel and the devices assigned to it ...
IMPORTANT.. [b]then reboot again

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts

Recently, HP Pavillion PC, running XP Media with SP3, using an AMD Athlon 64x Dual Core Processor 3800+, 1.0Ghz ram, IDE 250Gig hard drive with 26.4G used, 197 free is experiencing extreme slow down on start up. I am using a DSL modem, and after start up, it takes forever to open Outlook 2007, or Outlook Express.

What happens after all programs loaded. Is the computer working normally or is it always slow?

wfd31

wfd31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
OK, I followed your instructions.

What's Next?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
answer The Skeptic question...is it only Outlook 2007, or Outlook Express thats slow to load...
after it gets loaded is the system as fast as normal

wfd31

wfd31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Outlook Express and Outlook 2007, were both very slow in start up, but know appear to be normal.

Firefox was also very slow to start up, and according to event viewer, was the source of most PC hangup's. It too appears to be normal.

Question, we are still running in selective startup in msconfig, Is this where we want to be?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Question, we are still running in selective startup in msconfig, Is this where we want to be?

yep

pcs365_13

pcs365_13

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Check whether there is a bad sector in your hard disk. To confirm the same follow the below steps.

1.On your start menu (bottom left corner) place your mouse pointer and click the right mouse button.
2.Place your mouse pointer on “explore” and click the left mouse button.
3.You should now have a screen showing your file structure.
4.Place your mouse over the part that probable says “Local Disk ©” Whatever it is called it should have the ©.
5.Left click and it should highlight. Right click the mouse while it is selected.
6.You should get another menu. Right at the bottom you will see “properties”. Left click it.
7.You should get a box that shows a pretty circle with blue and pink segments in it. (If you have more pink than blue then you are in a good state space wise on your disk. If you have only a small sliver of pink then you are in some other trouble. Send me a comment if you want)
8.At the top of the box there is a menu. Click “Tools” with your left mouse button.
9.You should come up with another box. In it there should be a selection “Check Now”, left click it.
10.In the box that appears tick both of the “check disk” options with your left mouse buttons and then click “start“
11.You should then come up with a message with a load of waffle. Just click “yes“
12.You should now restart your system. When it comes up again it should show a messages saying “Checking Files System on C” and a countdown counter. Do not touch anything just let it count down and it will start checking your disk.
13.It will check in 5 phases. The first three are fairly quick but the last two can vary depending on how much data you have on your disk and the size of your disk. Go and have a cup of coffee and just let it ramble on.
14.What the check will do is make unavailable bad parts and it will attempt to restore some parts from a special segment of disk.
15.Eventually it will restart.
Note: Occasionally Windows XP does not pick up the signal to do a check. If not just repeat the above as I have always found if this happens it does it OK the second time.

Hope this helps.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you continue to have hangups ...try uninstalling firefox and then reinstall it

wfd31

wfd31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Replying to pcs365_13 suggestions. Please note we ran chkdsk /r on two separate occasions. Both logs were posted here.

Happyrock thanks for the suggestions on Firefox.

Anything else you can think of or see?

Do you think AVG might be an issue? I have read that some techs are not suggesting using it.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts

Outlook Express and Outlook 2007, were both very slow in start up, but know appear to be normal.

Firefox was also very slow to start up, and according to event viewer, was the source of most PC hangup's. It too appears to be normal.

Please forgive my slow understanding, but I would like to ask: are there any problems left? Could you please specify them? At the beginning you had problems starting programs. Now it seems to be over. What is left to be done? Honestly, I don't know what we are trying to solve.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Do you think AVG might be an issue? I have read that some techs are not suggesting using it.

I both use it and recommend it...also install it on every computer I build...
with that said you can set it to not run the scans automatically...just remember to run the scan manually weekly

wfd31

wfd31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
OK folks, I feel everything is running smoothly again.

Not sure what we did with your help, other that change the msconfig files to selective startup. Have not had a pc hangup in over two weeks.

Sure do appreciate the work.

Thanks again.