Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Virus Help

• Please log in to reply

carinejv

carinejv

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have caught a virus on my PC. I have a Gateway laptop that is running Windows 7. I am going out of town and I need my laptop to do things for school while I am gone.

A error message continues to pop up. This error message pops up every 3 seconds.

The error message states "Application cannot be executed. The file skypenames2.exe is infected. Do you want to activate your antivirus software now?". If you click on either "yes" or "no" it continues to show up. It does not let me access the internet from my web browser, Internet Explorer, at all.
All of this is only happening on my Administrater account. My Guest and other Standard accounts allow me to access Internet Explorer.

The file name on this example "skypenames2.exe" is always changing. It is never the same file name.

I am running the free version of AVG. It does not open on my Administrater account. I open it on other accounts and it does not detect any viruses.

Thank you,
cjv

Advertisements

azarl

azarl

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 25,310 posts
Hi

Welcome to Geekstogo. I'll be helping you with this problem.

• Please read all of my response through at least once before attempting to follow the procedures described. I would recommend printing them out, if you can, as you can check off each step as you complete it. If there's anything you don't understand or isn't totally clear, please come back to me for clarification.

• Please do not attach any log files to your replies unless I specifically ask you. Instead please copy and paste so as to include the log in your reply. You can do this in separate posts if it's easier for you

Firstly, please follow all of the steps in this section of the Malware Forum, then please post the MBAM, GMER and OTL Logs in this thread.