Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Gigabyte MOBO's PCI-E slot only x4?

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi guys (and gals)! Long time no talk.

Last time I was on here I got some great advice on building my first computer, and I have to say that so far it's been wonderful. That being said, I have the itch to upgrade.

Here's the dilemma:

I'm currently using Gigabyte's G41M-ES2H MOBO which has onboard video. When I bought it from NewEgg over a year ago, it was originally listed as having a x16 PCI-E slot, which would've been great if I were going to upgrade to better video. This is not the case. It's only a x4.

Granted, the PC is used mainly as an HTPC, and it does the job just fine, but I've recently gotten into playing Star Trek Online (Me, an MMO? Inconceivable.) and I can't really push the graphics too hard on here.

So, if it's possible in layman's terms, could you explain the multiplier, and what effect it would have on any new video card I might buy? Plus, any suggestions on how I can upgrade my video performance would be muchly appreciated.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The x4 is fine for most cards but if you put the biggest and most powerful card going in it, it wouldn't run at its full capacity.

This behaviour is usually because of the design of the chipset, but the slot has to be full-length otherwise it wouldn't take any standard card.