Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Finding out if a site is safe?

• Please log in to reply

erikc4l

erikc4l

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Hi, I was wondering how can I check if a site is safe? Like is there a place where I can just enter in the site and it'll scan the website or something for me? I have the WOT (Web of Trust) add-on for mozilla firefox but I don't know if it's effective enough because it says that the site I've been going to is safe. But today when I went to it there was a warning on the site showing:

Posted Image

So can anyone help me out?

P.S. I didn't know if this was the right section to post in. If it is the wrong one, can someone move it?

Thanks.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Well considering it's been reported as a phishing site, the general opinion would be to, well, not go to it basically.

However this site is reported by all the various software vendors, Firefox and Google as a potential phishing site. So something's happened on the site at some point to cause this, intentionally or otherwise. The forums on the site in question are bemused.

These things work on a cascading basis - Google's decided it doesn't like it, it feeds the website stopbadware.org which is also used by Firefox and Chrome for their blacklists. Likewise other programs like Norton and co monitor the trends too and update their logs accordingly.

The issue may be temporary and will probably resolve itself in due course. Not the first time a Google automated system has screwed things up.

In the meantime for Firefox you can turn the warnings off by going to the Tools Menu -> Options -> Security and the "Block reported attack sites" option. Note that this will reduce protection for sites outside of the site in question.

Edited by Neil Jones, 04 September 2010 - 05:08 AM.

Taomech

Taomech

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
As opposed to turning off the warnings completely, why not just click Ignore this warning in the bottom right hand of the alert?

One possibility is that this site has been compromised, though two online scanners declare the site clean, so most likely a bug somewhere.

Thanks,
Taomech

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

As opposed to turning off the warnings completely, why not just click Ignore this warning in the bottom right hand of the alert?

Because Ignore only ignores the current request. The site in question is pulling resources from other "blacklisted" urls so Firefox warns about all of them, then in my experience stops you accessing the site altogether.

Taomech

Taomech

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Thanks Neil,
That explains it.

Thanks,
Taomech