Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing wireless driver

• Please log in to reply

mattdarey

mattdarey

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I recently reformatted a friend of mine's laptop that he bought used it came with no driver disc or operation system disc or anything. It is a dell latitude d610 and I have successfully found all of the drivers except for the wireless card. I've found a few that were supposed to work but only got an error when i tried opening them. The wireless card is an intel pro/wireless 2915abg and I've tried dell's website and intel's site and none of them worked. If anyone could help me it would be amazing.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
On the Dell website you have a patch/upgrade (5mb in size) for the Intel ® PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection, did you try this patch after you installed the driver from Dell to see if it helps.

http://support.dell....1&fileid=146209

mattdarey

mattdarey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thats the thing it wouldn't allow me to install any of them it would give me an error as soon as I opened it and would immediately cancel the installation. I had success with one that I found but all it did was make the device recognizable and would give me a different error upon booting the pc.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
If you look at the instruction before installing the drivers Dell says this:

Windows 2000 Users:
The installer package requires Microsoft Core XML Services (MSXML) 6.0. Microsoft® Windows® 2000 users will be required to update to Microsoft® Windows® Installer 3.1 before installation will be allowed.

mattdarey

mattdarey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Alright I didn't see that apparently.. that would be my bad. But one question I'm currently at this page http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en and I'm not sure on which .msi file I will need or if I need them all.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Files to use:
msxml6.msi
msxml6-KB954459-enu-x86.exe.

Before downloading and installing those updates be sure you have Microsoft Installer 3.1 (MSI 3.1) installed on your pc. Your Windows 2000 must have service pack 3 or later for you to be able to install this Windows Installer 3.1

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en