Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstall of XP won't recognise C drive

• Please log in to reply

mesila

mesila

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am going NUTS trying to open my drive and configure my clean install of XP (but not on a freshly formatted disk) to get on the net and start installing the zillion and one service-packs and security updates. But each time I try to open the drive folder, an error message which says "Access denied for C:!" comes up. My Admin priveleges are not problematic. one thing I do notice is that a bunch of files left over by a program I ran ages ago that was supposed to stop rootkits called RegRun are scattered around the root C folder with names like "THIS_PREVENTS_FLASH VIRUSES_FROM_INSTALLING___by_REGRUN" and a size of 0 bytes. No matter what I do I cannot delete these things and I think they may have something to do with this problem. (I researched RegRun before using it and uncovered no 'baddie' status for it, but that doesn't mean it couldn't have been anyway - or merely poorly written.)

I have tried to delete these folder-files with the Malwarebytes file deleter and was unsuccessful. They will also not delete when I boot from my Hiram's MiniXp boot disk - when I boot with that I can access C just fine, incidentally. Just not with Windows XP that's installed on C.

I have done disk checks to mske sure the drive's not hurtin' but they all came up error-free.

Could anyone shed any light on this problem? As soon as I find a portable HD to shunt my data off my computer with I am probably just gonna format C and upgrade to Windows 7 64 Bit anyway but I have no idea when I will be able to obtain the portable HD so I may have to depend on getting Windows XP fixable somehow - meaning that I also must solve this Access Denied problem first. If any kind soul answers this post I would deeply appreciate if you'd mail a quick note to [email protected] so I can get word of it by mobile and get to a computer with internet and read the post/reply to any questions.

Thanks in advance
A soon-to-be Sevenized 'XP-Dinosaur-Riding-person' with a balky dinosaur

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit melisa?

Just a couple of questions. Are you trying to activate a Windows XP install from drive C,(or a hidden partition)? or Are you booting from a XP CD? This really doesn't make too much sense. I will often create a second install of XP to recover data from a client's system and never had any problems, but I always boot from a Windows XP CD to do this...

I did just have a client whose Norton had become corrupted and would not ALLOW a boot from a Windows XP CD to "see" the drive C, but this sounds like something different...

I guess I'm saying that I'm also confused Posted Image please provide the system and specs as well...

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I would bet that Regrun is creating havoc. Anything that deals with registry can create issues.

RegRun Suite is a complete computer security software. RegRun Platinum includes 24 system utilities for protecting a computer against Rootkits/Trojans/Adware / Spywarecomponents, increase Windows boot-up process speed, help in computer management. RegRun Suite is compatible with all known antiviral software and and may be used to improve security. RegRun works with all Microsoft Windows platforms: Windows 95/98/ME/NT4/2000/XP/2003 / VISTA .

MajorGeeks lists it as follows...

RegRun is an integrated suite of utilities that will make your computer-management life easier, and will help protect you from much of the destructive activity of today's Trojans.

RegRun is an advanced msconfig replacement and a universal anti Trojan detector. It monitors all known startup holes. RegRun is the best msconfig equivalent for Windows 2000/XP. Also it works with Windows 95/98/ME.

The Gold version includes fast registry search and replace feature, customizable registry tracer, rescue registry and trojan analyser feature.

RegRun Platinum includes Partizan rootkit detector and remover, integrated UnHackMe software and BootLog XP software, a Windows boot analyzer.

Download and install Revo Uninstaller

Double click the Revo Uninstaller icon on your desktop to start the program
Scroll through the listed programs and Right Click on the program you wish to uninstall
From the pop out menu choose Uninstall
Click Yes to the confirmation dialogue
In the next window select the Advanced mode
Click Next to start uninstalling the program
Answer Yes to confirm the uninstall
When the program has completed the four steps, click Next to allow the program to search for leftovers
Once complete, click Next, then Finish
Repeat the above steps for any other programs you wish to remove.

Try Unlocker"] to delete/ get rid of the files that you are trying to get rid of.

Are you sure that the computer will run windows 7 64 bit OS?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Are you sure that the computer will run windows 7 64 bit OS?

I agree with 123Runner ...what are your system specs

mesila

mesila

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
My hardware will run Windows 7 - I already ran the MS wizard that determined this long before my current troubles.

I've got other problems now. I finally just formatted C but my Windows 7 disk hasn't arrived, and I can't find my product key for my XP disks. Trying to get MS support for that is not even possible - they won't give you a phone number to call unless you run some sort of wizard on your machine - which is kind of impossible in my situation. I was so angry at them today...

I believe the UnHackMe part of RegRun is what made those completely undeletable folders. I will never use that again...

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to install Ubuntu or one of the other million "flavors" of linux. That will allow you to work until you get your win 7 disk.