Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Using Hardware Pointer Option When Playing Games

• Please log in to reply

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Hello.

I have had this problem under Windows XP and now Windows 7 Ultimate. I don't believe it has anything to do with the OS or my particular hardware.

The problem concerns my mouse pointer when playing some games. With most games, there is no problem. However, with some games, the pointer is very unstable and tough to control. It doesn't respond properly. It sort of floats over the screen and doesn't move right away when I move the mouse. With most of the games, there is usually an option to: USE HARDWARE POINTER. Whenever I select that, the problem is resolved and the pointer works perfectly in the game.

Unfortunately, I have a few games where the mouse pointer behaves erratically, but there is no option to use Hardware Pointer, so the game is virtually unplayable, at least by playing with the mouse.

The million dollar question is if my mouse pointer isn't behaving properly in a game and there is no option to use Hardware Pointer, is there a workaround or a free standalone program I can use to make the game use the Hardware Pointer, so it behaves properly?

Again I don't think it has anything to do with the mouse itself because I have had this problem with different mice. Right now I am using the Soyo optical Dragon Mouse. The mouse pointer works perfectly everywhere, except within a few games.

Again, whatever it is that causes my mouse to behave erratically in a game, is fixed if the game has the option to use Hardware Pointer. What do I do if the mouse is erratic and the game doesn't have the option to use Hardware Pointer?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Is your resolution in the games you have issues with the same as your desktop resolution?

The reason I ask is that some games have mouse issues when the desktop resolution is higher than in-game resolution.

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Hi, Alzeimer.

Thanks for the prompt response. Your English is perfect. The funny thing is that I took French in high school. haha I'm Italian, but for some reason they didn't offer Italian. They offered Latin, Greek, German, Spanish, and French. So I took French. It was a Catholic High School.

Interesting. I didn't think about the resolution. Now that you mentioned it, come to think of it, the game resolution is usually lower than my desktop resolution. For the desktop I always use 1024x768. Some of the games are graphics intensive and the game usually sets the graphics details for you the first time you run it, to give you the best performance. I usually keep their settings, so the game doesn't run too slowly. I don't have a top-notch graphics card.

I have my system in my profile and don't know why it's not showing up on the left.

Anyway, here it is:

Dell 531s Computer
Athlon Core 2-Duo CPU
4 GB DDR2 RAM
500 GB SATA hard drive
Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit)

So what do you think the problem is?

Thanks so much.

Edited by Dom Fontana, 04 September 2010 - 09:05 AM.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
If you do not want to increase the resolution in your games, try to temporary decrease the resolution of windows to the same as your game you have issues with to see if this will fix the problem when playing the game.

If it helps your problem you will have to either do that every time or install a better video card so your games can be at the same resolution as your desktop preference.

Hope it helps.

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Thanks.

I'll try your suggestion and then report back here with the results.

chazzmatic

chazzmatic

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Dom, read your post from aseveral months back re: Zaurus 5800. If your still using it, can you tell me where I could get apps Z-finance in particular. Also any forums to join? I appreciate any & all info. Thanks, sorry to tag you in the games blog area. -Chad

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Hi, Chad.

Great picture.

Here is a link for Zaurus 5800 software applications. I don't know how many of them are still available, but there is an index of over 1,000 programs and they have download links for free.

Here is the link:

Zaurus 5800 Applications

Good luck and keep me posted.

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
@Alzeimer:

I tried your suggestion, but it didn't work. I made sure the desktop and game resolutions were the same and I even lowered the resolution, but it had no effect.

Is anyone else able to help me? I posted this over a month ago and only Alzeimer responded. This must be a common problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.