Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC won't power on with GPU connected

• Please log in to reply

Twinbird

Twinbird

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hello!
Before I explain my problem I am going to list my basic PC specs:

• CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 (Kentsfield)
  • Motherboard: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLI
  • Memory: x2 2GB Duel Channel DDR2 SLI certified memory
  • GPU: BFG GeForce 9800 GT (currently installed and working)
  • PSU: OCZ GameXStream 850W (SLI certified)

My problem is similar to this:
http://www.computing...tall/67359.html

I've been using my XFX GeForce 9800 GT graphics card for a while and decided to upgrade. So I purchased the BFG GeForce 9800 GT card and had them running via 2-way SLI with no problems. Then, a few months later my XFX card seemed to die. The computer just won't boot at all with it plugged in - I would press the power button and the system fan would turn on for a 10th of a second like the PC was going to boot but then nothing. Even with just the XFX card in, it won't boot (no matter what slot I put it in). However, the computer works with the new BFG card just fine.

So, I took apart the XFX card, cleaned it up, reflowed the GPU chip, applied fresh thermal compound and put it back together. I still have the same problem. What could be wrong with the graphics card that would prevent the system from turning on? I know I can just easily buy a new one, but trying to fix it is more fun :)

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This may be a power supply issue. Have you tried a new power supply?

Twinbird

Twinbird

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

This may be a power supply issue. Have you tried a new power supply?

Thanks for the reply! No I haven't. Though my power supply should be able to handle these two graphics cards (the BFG card is a low-power eco-friendly one too). I'll take a look at the power supply. Is there a good website or app that can calculate how much power my PSU needs to handle everything? The BFG card doesn't need to be powered directly by the PSU while the XFX one needs a PCIe power cable connected to it. I will check the voltage on the pins of the cable to make sure the PSU is giving enough power. I have a 1000W PSU in another PC that I can try. I'll also try the card in another computer.

I'll let you know how it goes. If you have any other suggestions please let me know.
Thanks!