Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No Sound XP after repaired OS

• Please log in to reply

Mfighter

Mfighter

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have no sound. i try to reinstall the drivers and it still doesnt work. It stopped working after I installed another Windows XP OS on my system after the main on crashed. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Do you have any Yellow Question Mark in your device manager, if you do do a print screen and post it in your response.

Also it would be useful to know your computer model (labtop or desktop) with the number if a Dell or HP ect. if a build one the model of your motherboard and any other information would be appreciated. If a desktop is your sound card integrated or an addon card?

Mfighter

Mfighter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
This might be useful. When I try to install the driver from dell.com I get this error when it gets to the install shield.

Error installing iKernel.exe

There is no yellow error in the device manager under my 'SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio'

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Try this solution concerning your iKernel.exe error and after reinstall your driver.

http://consumerdocs....08247&sliceId=1

Mfighter

Mfighter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks was in the middle of trying it

Mfighter

Mfighter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
tried it and it didnt work. But now, when i get the error it adds 'files accessed' is included. any ideas?

Also I got this new box that won't disappear.

Rundll box

'Error loading streamci.dll

The specified module could not be found' Can't X the box out as well. Keeps reappearing.

Edited by Mfighter, 04 September 2010 - 01:49 PM.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Go to start and then run and type sfc /scannow This will check to see if you have all the proper .dll and windows files installed make sure you have your windows cd in your cd/dvd-rom as it will need this to copy the files from. Give this a shot and we will go from there.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
After running the system file checker the first thing to do is t verify that you are downloading the correct driver
Here is the site
http://search.dell.c...=False&~ck=anav
Enter your Dell Service tag or model number

Secondly which windows O/S have you now installed you say different.
You may well find the problem is solved when you update it if you have not already done so.
Very likely updates will find the problem.
On a dell Soundmax audio is integrated on the motherboard.
Check in BIOS setup to ensure Onboard Audio is enabled.
Also check in Control Panel - Sounds and Audio Devices that Soundmax on the audio tab is the default device.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 04 September 2010 - 02:51 PM.

Mfighter

Mfighter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Looking for my XP HOME disc. may not be able to find it. Might have to order a replacement from dell.

I have the right driver I got it from DELL using my service tag.

I got rid of the streamci.dll error by downloading and installing the .dll vis regsev using Start>Run tabs. I the error message that it successfully loaded but dllregisterserver entry point not found.

I checked the bios and onboard sound is on.

In device manager the SoundMAX device is there without any yellow mark.

In the control panel, sounds and audio, there is 'No Audio Device'. When I goto hardware SoundMAX is ther ad it says it is working properly.

Also when I try to reinstall the driver it gets to the install shield wizard than says 'error installing ikernel.exe: Files accessed'

Any ideas

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

It stopped working after I installed another Windows XP OS

I do not quite understand, if this problem arose after installing the Windows Home O/S and presumably only recently - do you not have the CD.
Before we go any further Geeks does not help with other than the legal use of genuine software, please assure me that is what we are dealing with.

Mfighter

Mfighter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I found the disc. 100% authentic here. Dell computers come with them. I once had a problem way back when and put Home on top of my Professional then deleted the Professionsal. I will do the scan and get back to you

Thanks you guys are F'in awesome.

Edited by Mfighter, 04 September 2010 - 04:07 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
if that does not work. I am convinced it is a problem with a device used by the sound and audio system
Try this
http://support.micro...com/gp/no_sound

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
When I went to Dells Optiplex 170L driver download Dell site says that this computer has this sound card Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated Audio

Here is the link to Dells driver download page for your computer:

http://support.dell....-1&fileid=87555