Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Home SP3 will not load

• Please log in to reply

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
You would hope so...

Also, you should not be recommending usage of any type of antivirus or antimalware removal tools in this forum.

EDIT: If you believe you may be infected, please visit this thread and follow the instructions.

Edited by diabillic, 08 September 2010 - 03:16 PM.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
diabillic we appreciate your concern, but let's not forget to keep the original posters needs first. Any concerns can be taken to a personal conversation.

Regarding antivirus applications they are no restrictions to their advice. The restrictions are regarding malware removal advice. That restriction is only in place to protect out members from potentially poor advice that may harm their system.

HallaSoldierJuudai

HallaSoldierJuudai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Sorry for taking do long to reply with the running services.
syscfg_services.PNG

The program with highest memory usage is Firefox, using roughly 400-600MB of my 1GB RAM at any given time.

I suppose I should upgrade that at some point.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

diabillic we appreciate your concern, but let's not forget to keep the original posters needs first. Any concerns can be taken to a personal conversation.

Regarding antivirus applications they are no restrictions to their advice. The restrictions are regarding malware removal advice. That restriction is only in place to protect out members from potentially poor advice that may harm their system.

thank you for clarifying admin :)

HallaSoldierJuudai,

What version of FF are you using?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Leave the Services running for the time being the problem is clearly Firefox.
There is no way that it should be using that amount of ram.
With the normal use of ram for your Windows and 400MB or so for Firefox the actual ram available, although you did not answer that question

report how much actual physical memory is available

must be small
See this please.
http://support.mozil...uestions/718553

Edited by Macboatmaster, 09 September 2010 - 12:39 PM.

HallaSoldierJuudai

HallaSoldierJuudai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
According to the "About..." dialog in Firefox, I have version 3.0.19 as of now.

Firefox has not requested updates recently.

I have rebooted, and am still in the "clean boot" state according to the message box that pops up after changing anything in msconfig. Firefox has slowly gone from about 180MB to about 400. Total physical memory usage as of now is about 800MB of 1GB.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Manually update it.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Look at the LInk I sent and disable all the add-ons in Firefox, this is done automatically if you start Firefox in Safe Mode.
run Firefox in safe-mode to disable all extensions, themes and plugins. If this fixes your problem, be it with RAM or CPU usage, then you know it's a problem with add-ons (plugins, themes or extensions). Proceed to number 2. If safe-mode doesn't fix your problem, then read below, after this list;

This is a copy and paste from the link so read below, is the rest of the detail from the link if you need it.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 10 September 2010 - 11:42 AM.

HallaSoldierJuudai

HallaSoldierJuudai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Immediately after update and Firefox Safe Mode restart, RAM usage by Firefox itself is 228MB, jumping from 170MB just a few seconds ago. That used by the Plugin container module is 34MB.

Total memory usage: 704MB.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I can only suggest that you work your way through the rest of the issues on the link for Firefox I sent you.
and go back to msconfig - services. check the box Hide all Microsoft services, se what is left and disable anything that you do not need ie: automatic updaters, management programs etc.
Indexing is quite a large user of ram but of course you have already disabled that I think
Further down that link there are a number of suggestions.

Advertisements