Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Migrating XP to Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

stattad

stattad

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
I bought a new Windows 7 laptop because my old XP laptop is dying. I have at least 4 programs that I use for work that I don't have disks for, because they were on floppies and they eventually got thrown away or missplaced during several company moves.

I am looking for the best way to migrate EVERYTHING off my XP laptop to the W7 one. My old tech migrated me from Windows 98 to XP 5 years ago, but he moved out of the country. Is the answer--

1) Make a virtual PC by taking a "snapshot" of the XP laptop and ghosting it over to the new one using disk2vhd?
2) Something involving cross-directional cables?
3) Simply ghosting from one to the other (which I don't think works)?

Thanks for any replies.
Tad

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
None of these will work, or at least not directly anyway.

1) The only Virtual PC available in 7 is the one that comes with Professional or Ultimate, and as far as I'm aware it's not possible to replace that installation with one of your own.
2) With respect, not going to happen.
3) You can clone it, but don't expect XP to work out of the box. It needs repairing. You'll need an XP disk for this and your licence.

The other issue you'll have is that the XP licence lives and dies with that laptop. You are supposed to buy a new licence for each machine.
The final issue is, does your new laptop offer downgrade rights for XP, and do all the bits inside work with XP? If so, can you get drivers for them from the website manufacturer of the laptop? If not, you'll end up with lots of stuff inside that laptop that can't be used with what is considered today, a legacy software solution.

stattad

stattad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I started losing you on #3. I have XP on one, and I'm assuming the installation is on a partition in the laptop, so I should have both licenses.

Since I just bought the new laptop, I'm sure I have a Windows 7 license.

"You can clone it, but don't expect XP to work out of the box". This part really confuses me. Do you mean clone as in disk2vhd? Why would I expect my Windows 7 machine to give me XP?

stattad

stattad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Would this be a lot easier if my new machine was XP?

stattad

stattad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I am planning on returning this W7 laptop to the store and instead purchasing an XP machine. I'm hoping someone can comment on whether or not it will be MUCH easier to move everything over if I do this?

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

I am planning on returning this W7 laptop to the store and instead purchasing an XP machine.

I doubt the store will sell new XP machines if you have a windows 7 machine you have certain downgrade rights - which means you can downgrade your laptop to xp. However, there are no downgrade rights granted for Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Home Basic, or Windows 7 Home Premium.

There is no advantage to buying an XP machine unless your applications are not compatible with windows 7 (but bear in mind windows 7 contains XP mode). Having an XP machine will not make transferring your programs to your new laptop any easier.

The following article may interest you: http://mintywhite.co...programs-drive/

Also, if you don't mind me asking what applications have you lost the discs for?

Edited by hendaz, 07 September 2010 - 11:07 AM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Solution 1 will probably work. I dont see any reason why it wouldnt.

You will need at least a Professional license of 7 or a virtual OS software such as VMware to use it.

stattad

stattad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
My W7 laptop is 7 days old and I have 7 more days to return it. Notebook Shop sells new laptops with XP, but it sounds like that wouldn't help me much.

That program looks real good (especially the price), but I'm wondering how the programs migrate over. With a cable? What kind do I need? And if I want W7 to run in XP mode, where do I find that switch?

The programs I don't have disks for are:
Pagemaker (floppies)
Front Page Editor (NOT Front Page)
Paradox for DOS (best database ever, in my opinion)
Word Perfect 5.1 DOS (also a great word processor)
My FTP program won't work in W7, so I assume I have to get a new one.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
They dont technically need to be migrated. The disk2vhd tools images your XP machine, then you just simply run it virtually using Virtual PC or whatever on your Windows 7 machine.

stattad

stattad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I had already made a .vhd file, but I was afraid I was going to copy the XP system to W7, defeating the purpose of having W7. Shall I just transfer this file and see what I have?

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Run the XP machine virtually for whatever programs you need and use 7 for everything else. I think your missing the point of having a virtualized OS.

stattad

stattad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
So this has nothing to do with XP Mode, right? Because I notice that there isn't compatibility with Windows 7 Home Premium.

I just move the .vhd over to the root directory and run it?

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
XP Mode is Virtual PC essentially, and you need either an Ultimate or Professional license to run it.

You need Virtual PC or VMware to mount the .vhd file.

stattad

stattad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I am now trying to make a Virtual PC, but my stumbling block is that it won't read my restore disk in the CD, and I have no idea how to make an ISO file, even after watching several videos about it and downloading two different programs that don't seem to do anything (LCISOCreator and Magic Disk).

Any help on making an ISO file would be appreciated.