Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Booting XP only possible after pressing the reset button

• Please log in to reply

willem1933

willem1933

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My computer:
ASUSTeK P7P55D LE, LGA 1156 mainboard
2.8 GHz Intel QuadCore i7 860 processor
4 GB Kingston KVR1333D3N9 RAM
Seagate 500GB SATA HDD
There is no floppy drive

This is a new computer on which the computer shop personnel installed XP Home ed. (Dutch) for me with all the updates up to now. After this I installed Office 2007 and BitDefender security suite 2009, a full scan with this showed no problems.

But when the machine boots or is rebooted after installing a program, it ends up in a black screen after the Windows splash screen with the running blue blobs has finished. Pressing the reset button a menu shows up that the machine did not shut down properly. When “start Windows normally” is chosen the computer boots and Windows and installed programs work normally.

Ran “Search and Destroy”, “Acronis Privacy Expert Suite” and “AdAware Internet Security”. The last found and removed a file “Win32.FraudTool.RegistryEasy/C”. Meanwhile I found that this is not a virus but afalse positiev (FP). Lastly I restored the computer to before installing all these anti-malware programs, but the problem remains.

As this is a bit of a roundabout way to start one's computer I would be thankful for some help to remedy this.

Advertisements