Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

How can I get email addresses from Outlook on a broken PC?

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts

A friend has a broken PC that needs to have XP reinstalled. Instead of that I've put his HD into my PC as he only wants to access some important files. He wants to get email addresses from Outlook 2000 but cannot find them. Opening Outlook just brings up my emails. My PC doesn't fully work and there is no longer an internet connection but is there anywhere on his HD that will have the email information he needs?

Hope someone can help. Cheers.

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
OLEXP: How to Back Up the Outlook Express Address Book and Mail Folders

How to Back Up or Copy Your Outlook Mail, Contacts and Other Data

That should help you find them. Since your Outlook is associated with your own email the program looks for yours in its own location. Those directions may not totally work in a direct way as you may have to find or change the associations of the drive/paths. Use of Windows Explorer may be needed to browse to the locations on his HD.

May have been better to go to the XP forum section and post how to fix the "broken" PC as re-installing XP may or may not wipe out the files unless the data was stored in a XP generated folder. That's why when I install some programs I change the default path to prevent an OS from erasing them. Many graphics programs may put saved images in the My Pictures folder which would be erased on a full install where the HD is formatted. GTG might be able to get you through an install that repairs the OS only depending on what is "broken".

Edited by AstraNut, 05 September 2010 - 01:46 PM.