Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop can open any folders/windows explorer

• Please log in to reply

BroncoWizard

BroncoWizard

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Recently my desktop computer started to mess up. It wont open any folders. Everytime i try to open any of my folders or my computer or control panel it wont work. Anything that windows explorer has to open it cant open it. As soon as i click on any of them it says windows explorer cant open it and it says it will try to restart it. Then the screen goes blank besides my wallpaper and then it comes back like its normal. Eveything else works fine like internet explorer and microsoft office. The programs work okay. But now in internet explorer it wont delete my history either. It will delete some of the history but on my bar everytime i put in a letter, websites names will come up. Like if i put a e in teh bar Espn.com will show on the bottom of it. Please help, I would delete the whole computer and install it again but it has my family pictures that i need. PLEASEEE HELPP MEEEE

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Did you try system restore from command line?

Go Start and in "Start search" paste this:
rstrui.exe
Hold CTRL and SHIFT keys, press Enter.

If, for some reason, it doesn't work, try the same from Safe Mode.

Note. Your computer may be infected, though.

BroncoWizard

BroncoWizard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
i tried that in both safe and regular ways and it didnt work. Ive scanned the computer with norton full scan and it hasnt come up with anything. Now i am going to scan it with malwarebytes full scan and see if it picks anything up. THen i will use Avira full scan to see if it picks anything up

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Are you running two AV programs, Norton and Avira?

BroncoWizard

BroncoWizard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
i have norton security suite and i also have avira, i was told its good to have avira because it catches some things that norton wont

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
No. Having two AV programs is a bad idea.
They'll step on each other, create conflicts, false positives, etc.
You have to start with uninstalling one of them.

BroncoWizard

BroncoWizard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
i would right now but i cant, i cant go to control panel. Microsoft explorer wont open it. How can i solve this problem, please help! is there any tests or anything i can do to try to solve this problem

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'd say....

I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

BroncoWizard

BroncoWizard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
thank you I will do that right now

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Cool :)