Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BSOD XP SP2 Proffesional

• Please log in to reply

Kii

Kii

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I've been experiencing constant blue screens with the stop code "BUGCODE_USB_DEVICE" Which occur with no usb devices plugged into the computer even. Just today I've had 6 crash's with the same error.

Items plugged in usually : Buffalo Usb Wireless adapter, Mouse, Logitech Keyboard *via wireless adapter, ipod cable *usually w/o ipod

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 5,952 posts
Hi Kii,

Could you provide the error stop code? Should look similar to this --> Stop: 0x000000FE
After the Stop code will be 4 hex values: {Parameter 1, Parameter 2, Parameter 3, Parameter 4}.

Also, I'd like to point out that support for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) 32-bit systems ended on July 13, 2010. You need to update to Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) if your system is 32-bit or you won't get security updates for Windows.

Please see this link here --> Support is ending for some versions of Windows

To download SP3 look for this --> Posted Image button at the lower left of the page and click on it. You'll find the download on the page that you are directed to just under How to get SP3.

Please provide the error codes above as requested for your Blue Screen and let us know if you updated to Service Pack 3 (SP3) in your next post if you have the 32-bit system. Getting SP3 may also correct your Blue Screens.

Thanks,

Donna

Kii

Kii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Hi Kii,

Could you provide the error stop code? Should look similar to this --> Stop: 0x000000FE
After the Stop code will be 4 hex values: {Parameter 1, Parameter 2, Parameter 3, Parameter 4}.

Also, I'd like to point out that support for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) 32-bit systems ended on July 13, 2010. You need to update to Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) if your system is 32-bit or you won't get security updates for Windows.

Please see this link here --> Support is ending for some versions of Windows

To download SP3 look for this --> Posted Image button at the lower left of the page and click on it. You'll find the download on the page that you are directed to just under How to get SP3.

Please provide the error codes above as requested for your Blue Screen and let us know if you updated to Service Pack 3 (SP3) in your next post if you have the 32-bit system. Getting SP3 may also correct your Blue Screens.

Thanks,

Donna

I looked around for the the crash reports, dump files, etc. to no luck. but it crashed again so I jotted down the codes.

Stop code: 0x000000FE (0x0000004, 0x8DDE0E0, 0x0863FAB38, 0x00000000)

Edited by Kii, 06 September 2010 - 09:12 PM.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 5,952 posts
Hi Kii,

Get the latest Service Pack (SP3) so that you are up to date.

Troubleshooting for common causes for this error is as follows:

An attached USB device may be damaged or functioning incorrectly. If possible, try removing recently added USB devices and/or replacing each USB device to find if one is faulty. Since there is no ipod attached to the cable, start there. May not mean anything, but no sense having it plugged in while not in use.

Check to see if you are using the latest hardware drivers, especially the chipset and video drivers. Older drivers are a common contributor to BSoD issues. It is best to go directly to the site of the manufacturer to get the latest updates on your drivers. You can check them via the Device Manager.

Install the latest Windows software updates. Don't forget to check for non-critical updates too!
For IE 8, Click on Safety, then Windows Update. Follow the instructions.
For IE 7, Click on Tools, then Windows Update. Follow the instructions.

Let me know if this helps!

Donna :)