Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Only Boots Lying Down

• Please log in to reply

zestron

zestron

• PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
My computer only boots lying down, and I think it has to do with my heatsink / cpu. Perhaps the heatsink is pulling the cpu off a bit.
There is really old paste on it, but the heatsink seems to be secure as can be. Here is a picture of my computer's insides

When I boot upright, the computer and all fans turn on, but no beep or display on monitor.
The blue light on my monitor which normally goes blue, stays amber.

Edited by zestron, 05 September 2010 - 06:04 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi zestron, some possible causes and checks you can do after removing the power cord from the wall and taking anti static precautions (touch a bare metal part of the case);
1: Check the condition of the pc to monitor cable, no bent pins or damage to the cable and that it is secure at both ends.
2: Check that all connections are secure, this includes psu connections to hardware, case switches such as pwr sw, reset sw and data transfer cables/leads etc.
3: Remove the gfx card blow out the slot and reseat the card securely then do the same with the Ram sticks, again make sure everything is secure and re-assemble your computer.
I hope this gets it sorted for you and let us know how it works out.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Unless the computer has been dropped lately, I don't think it would be the CPU or HSF assembly. And contrary to what many say, TIM (thermal interface material), your thermal paste, does not go bad with age. Any TIM exposed to air can dry out and crack, but the working stuff between the CPU and heatsink mating surfaces will still be fine as long as the cured bond between them is undisturbed.

So I agree with pp2 and think this is caused by something else that is loose and his proposed plan of attack is spot on.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is video built onboard?
If so you may have a broken solder point and when you lay it on it's side it may contact then.
If not onboard then I would suspect a loose video card.

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
I took everything out and cleaned out some dust, and it's all good now. Fixed my other video problem too!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Congratulations on resolving your computer issues :)
Thank you for choosing GTG and for allowing us to assist you.
It would appear the problem was indeed an unseated card or
a dust issue and thank you for letting us know your solution :)