Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can i use the Gigabyte Radeon HD5830 1GB on my motherboad?

• Please log in to reply

Enak101

Enak101

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey all, i just wanted to know if my motherboard Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L v1 could use the lovely Gigabyte Radeon HD5830 1GB card. Also i am not 100% sure but i think my power supply is 650 watts, it might be 750 and i am 90% sure its not the 500 watt, thanks i plan on getting the GPU for Christmas but want to make sure i can use it :).

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi Enak101
The card will work fine, the memory on the gfx card will not affect the Ram on the MB.
You have already answered one question that I would ask and that concerns your psu, 650
or 750W would be good but 500W not so good.
FYI. Ram will clock backwards to the memory with the lower speed, hope this helps.
Make sure you have room inside your case for the card (read the specs for the card for
the dimensions).

Enak101

Enak101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you for a quick respons, well i assume it has room, lets just hope so haha, yeah now that i remember i do not have 500 watt, i have 650 i think. Ah what do you mean with the ram, clocks backwards? I think i have 1 2gb stick and an empty ram slot.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Mentioning the Ram speeds was purely a hypothetical point, as someone else reading the thread may think they needed DDR5 Ram on the MB for the card to work, and as most people will know there is no such thing as DDR5 Ram and that the G in the GDDR simply means Graphics.
To explain the back clocking I mentioned, if you had a stick of DDR2-PC2-8500/1066MHz in your computer and you then put in a stick of DDR2-PC2-6400/800MHz at the same time the DDR2-PC2-8500/1066MHz would slow down to the same speed as the DDR2-PC2-6400/800MHz.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
"Backwards" and "back clocking" are misleading, non-standard terminology, and really should not be used as they cause confusion. What happens when mixing RAM of different speeds is the motherboard's chipset senses the slowest speed RAM and "toggles down" or slows down the system bus speed to the speed of the slowest RAM. The RAM itself does not decide anything. The motherboard decides and controls how fast all the RAM will run. But as noted, information about system RAM does not apply to the original question.

and as most people will know there is no such thing as DDR5 Ram and that the G in the GDDR simply means Graphics

Not sure what you are saying there but GDDR5 and DDR5 are the same thing and very real as a simple Google search shows, and have been around for a couple years now.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Sorry if there is any confusion regarding post #4

and as most people will know there is no such thing as DDR5 Ram and that the G in the GDDR simply means Graphics

what I was pointing to was that GDDR5 does not go in a DIMM slot on the MB and that at present DDR5 is used on Graphics cards, hence the name GDDR5.

Enak101

Enak101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
well yeah thanks guys i either have a 2gb stick or 2 1gb sticks so that is fine, i wondered why you mentioned that heh as i knew that gpu memory isnt the same etc. Thanks for clearing up GDDR5 i didnt really get that heh.