Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptops and cable

• Please log in to reply

ferndoodle

ferndoodle

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
<_<

Hi, I have a question that I hope someone can advise me on. I am looking for a laptop for my nephew. They have Roadrunner for their desktop. Does the laptop have to have anything special to use it on the cable along with the desktop? I have dial up so I don't know much about the Roadrunner.

Does the laptop computer have to be a newer one to be used with the cable? Would it need a ethernet or network card in it?

Any help you can give me would be appreciated. I want to make sure I get the right computer for my nephew. Thank you,

Ferndoodle

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
It would only need an Ethernet or wireless network card to connect to Roadrunner.

For a wireless network card to work, a wireless router would also be required.

ferndoodle

ferndoodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
<_<
Thank you for your help. Could you explain this wireless router or ethernet card? What would have to be done to get this to work? Would they have to buy something to set this up?

As I told you, I'm not at all familiar with Roadrunner.

ferndoodle

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
To connect to Roadrunner you need some type of network connection. With a laptop you don't want to be tied down by a wire connected to it, so many people are going wireless. A wireless PCMCIA network card and wireless router would be required and should cost well under $100. Also, many laptops come with wireless networking included.

ferndoodle

ferndoodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
<_<
Thank you for the information. I will replay that to my nephew so he will know how to set up the computer.

I appreciate your time and help. Keep up the good work.

ferndoodle