Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Inspiron 6000 XP won't fully boot up

• Please log in to reply

norm61

norm61

• Pip
  • 9 posts
My Inspiron 6000 stopped booting up when it gets to the point where the desktop wallpaper loads, but before the desktop icons show up. I was able to boot into safe mode fine. I backed up everything that I am interested in saving to an external drive while in safe mode.

I used my Dell reinstallation disk (it didn't come with an original XP disk) and tried to reinstall XP while in safe mode. The installation seemed to go well until I got to a black screen with the Windows logo in the middle with "please wait..." under it. It remained at that screen for over an hour. I couldn't do anything to get out of that screen (ESC, Ctl-Alt-Del, etc.) so I powered it off.

Now when I boot it up, it tells me that I have to activate Windows before I log in. When I click OK it continues to boot until it gets to the point where the wallpaper loads, and it tries to open an "Activate Windows" window. The outline of this window appears, but none of the content. It doesn't progress beyond this point. I tried powering off and booting up into safe mode, but I get a message that says I cannot log in without activating Windows, and I cannot activate Windows from safe mode.

I am not sure how to proceed at this point. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Norm

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
http://support.dell....om/D5181bk5.pdf

As the problem existed before the use of the Dell reinstallation CD, it may well be a problem with RAM, hard drive, or other hardware OR it may be a faulty reinstallation on the CD.
Try the Recovery Partition.
http://support.dell....om/D5181bk5.pdf

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you don't try to reinstall in safe mode...just put the reinstall cd in and boot from it...at this point you may have to format the drive to get rid of the failed/incomplete install...then try reinstalling again

norm61

norm61

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Macboatmaster -

Hmmm... I hadn't considered a hardware problem - I assumed it was something corrupt with XP. It is still under warrantee with Dell, so maybe I should contact them. I am not sure what you meant by the Recovery Partition, I didn't see anything in the manual you attached that was called that. Would the Dell PC Restore be a good option? I have all the data I need from it.

Hi Happyrock -

The computer doesn't boot from the CD drive, so I used File, New Task from Task Manager in safe mode so that I could get to the Setup file on the CD. Perhaps that was a mistake. :) I wouldn't mind reformatting at this point, but since I can't boot into either normal or safe mode without activating the license, I'm not sure how to proceed.

With 9 days left on the warrantee, and with a question of a hardware problem, perhaps I should go with Dell's service. Would that make sense?

Thanks!
Norm

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
To reinstall windows you should insert the disc at boot and not in safe mode(or any other mode). You have to change the boot settings in the BIOS to get your computer to boot from CD because by default it will be set to boot from the hard disk. A guide is available here to show you what to do: http://www.hiren.inf...bios-boot-cdrom

Insert the disc at boot and hopefully you should boot using the disc and not the hard drive enabling you to reinstall windows.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
To use PC Restore:
1 Turn on the computer.
During the boot process, a blue bar with www.dell.com appears at the top of the screen.
2 Immediately upon seeing the blue bar, press <Ctrl><F11>.
If you do not press <Ctrl><F11> in time, let the computer finish restarting, and then restart the
computer again.
NOTICE: If you do not want to proceed with PC Restore, click Reboot in the following step.

That is the Recovery Partition. If it is NOT in your manual your computer does not have one.
HOWEVER now I know it is under warrantry there is ONLY ONE PIECE OF GOOD ADVICE - take it in and use the warrantry.
Attempting anything else may leave you in a worse situation.

Good Luck.

norm61

norm61

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks, Guys.

I will contact Dell and have it taken care of under the warrantee. I can't believe it failed just before the warrantee ended, instead of after. :)

Norm