Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sony Vaio PCG-3E2L Black screen powe light but no Hdd light

• Please log in to reply

rbsander

rbsander

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
This laptop was restarting randomly (I believe from over heating because of a stopped fan). I opened the casing (out of warranty) to check the fan and make sure it was not just caked in dust. As it turns out the fan was fairly clean but not coming on at all. I turned the computer on and streamed a video to make the computer shut off again, which it did, and of course the heat sink was extremely hot to the touch. So I had just decided to buy a fan when the computer would not come back on.
The power light comes on but other than that it doesn't do anything else, no bios no back light in the screen. The hard drive sounds like it is on. The cd drive still opens, but won't recognize any discs (sony recovery disc or anything, no difference just spins hard).
I have checked everything and nothing seems loose. I tried the 30-90 sec power flush (by holding the power button without a battery or ac/dc adapter plugged in). I get the same results with the adapter or with the battery. I am not sure what else to try at this point.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
It is possible that last streaming video fried an already failing CPU, have you fitted the new fan yet?
I can only suggest removing the Ram stick/s and powering up to see if this shows any other sort of activity.
Other than that try removing the CMOS battery from the MB for a while and then replace it, use a new MB
battery if you have one.

rbsander

rbsander

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
First of all, thank you for replying phillpower2,

I never actually ordered the fan as I had just found one when the computer failed. I would hate to order a fan for a computer that wont come on at all. I suppose it is possible that the CPU failed, but how would I check that? I tried booting without that Ram and it did not seem to change anything. I have pulled the CMOS battery out for a brief period also, but I will try pulling it out a little longer, as I don't have another battery.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Have you fitted the replacement fan that you found, as it is important to have one fitted should the computer start up, short of trying a replacement cpu I cannot think of another way to prove it is bad, you could try and boot up, power down and feel the heatsink to see if is hot, this may show if there is power going to the cpu or not, another possibility is the gfx chip going bad so I will look and see if they can be replaced.

rbsander

rbsander

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
If it does end up that the cpu had power going to it, would you assume that the cpu is bad?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
No, MB or as I previously suggested the gfx chip, while searching for info
on your laptop I have seen it suggested a couple of times that it is also
known as the VGN-CS 200 series so I found this link http://www.docs.sony...CS200series.pdf
Is this your laptop?

rbsander

rbsander

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
That number seems to cover my model number. The cpu is getting power, it gets warm after leaving the computer on for a while. Again, I'm not sure how to check and see if it is the mother board or gfx chip.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
I notice you said the laptop is out of warranty so this link is a bit late for preventing what has happened, but it does suggest the result of a failed fan is a dead MB which could include the gfx chip, it was such a common problem Sony recalled various models including yours http://www.laptoplab...n-cs-vpc-f.html
All the information for the onboard gfx chip I can find suggests that it is integrated and so cannot be replaced.
I also found that the gfx chip uses the computers onboard Ram for memory, so it could still be bad Ram causing the problem, if you do not have another stick you can try and cannot loan a stick I would suggest you ask a good computer store to try a stick of theirs after all if it works you will need to purchase some and they could make a sale.
BTW you havn`t said if you have replaced the fan yet, this is vital to prevent further damage.