Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp 2002 update

• Please log in to reply

brycrip

brycrip

• PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
I have an old Dell Latitude laptop loaded with xp 2002. I'm on a boat and only have wifi connection with shore and it's pretty slow. I need to upgrade to Service Pack 2 but it will not download from the Micosoft web site. It comes up and tells me it is downloading and will take 38 minutes but nothing happens. Any suggestions as to how I can bring this old girl up to speed?

Thank you in advance...

Bryan

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi brycrip,

Welcome to Geeks to go! :)

Your issue may be the slow connection. You may have to wait till you come ashore and find a faster connection before you can get the "old girl up to speed." You will also have to include SP3 to your list of things to do if you want to continue to receive security updates, and that update will definitely need a faster connection.

Please see this link ---> Support for Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2) ended on July 13, 2010.

Others may respond as well!

Donna :)

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
Thank you, Donna. I'm sure you are right about the slow connection. I'm having trouble updating many programs, particularly the larger ones that just time out. May take the laptop into the Nassau library and see if I can download through their system.

All best to you and once again, thank you.

Bryan
Nassau Harbor

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
You're welcome Bryan. As for going ashore to the Library to accomplish this, you may want to ask the Librarians about their connection as well. I believe they also use WiFi, and this may interfere with their bandwidth. They may also have imposed a download limit, too. Once you have SP2 installed the SP3 update is around 16.1 MB. If you have only SP1 installed the download will be as much as 57.5 MB. Many issues were confronted with download issues due to the size and connection speed.

Do you know anyone on Nassau that has a Hi-Speed cable connection? That would be your best option.

Or, you may ask Nassau High-Speed Internet DSL Service if they offer a free amount of OnLine hours per month. My Local Cable Company (Comcast) does.

:)

Edited by DonnaB, 09 September 2010 - 06:29 PM.