Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to turn off a computer without shutting down?

• Please log in to reply

paddyirishman05

paddyirishman05

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I want to build a computer to use as a personal Jukebox. I will set this up so that the software I am using will automatically run when the computer powers on.

Can I do this in a way that the computer can be turned off at the mains without needing to go through the SHUTDOWN process?
I presume I may need an operating system to suit, but I dont know much about them.

How can I achieve this? or does anybody know how commercial jukeboxes can be turned off without needing shutdown?

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi and welcome,

Basically a quick and easy way to achieve this would be to setup the power button to shut down on press. Most computers are already set for this anyway. Simple to try, just save all your work (obviously) and then instead of heading to Start > Shut Down or whatever, just press the power button on the computer itself and see what happens.

And any software you load a shortcut into the Startup folder will load upon start up! It's in the Start Menu > Programs menu.

:)