Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

NTLDR is compressed.

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello :)

I am having trouble starting up my computer, it is showing the error message
"NTLDR is compressed, press CTRL + ALT + DEL to restart"

I'm not the most technological of girls so I apologise for my lack of information. If anyone is willing and patient enough to help me out, I would be very grateful!

I have tried reformatting using the computer's System Recovery CD but to no avail. I do not have a Windows XP disk but I have created one and accessed Windows Recovery Console.

I blindly followed some information I found online and inputed some of these commands, which may be of interest to you, or may not, but here they are.

BOOTCFG / REBUILD - I get the error message that the rebuild failed and to check disk for errors.
CHKDSK completed and reported no errors.

Computer - Advent 3117, Windows XP Home Edition

Thanks very much in advance,

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
NTLDR is compressed. Press CRTL-ALT-DEL to restart.

This error message is resolved by following these steps:

Select Run Microsoft Recovery Console , click Next , and then follow the onscreen instructions.
Press R to repair the Windows XP installation using Recovery Console.
Enter the appropriate number for the WINDOWS installation, for example, the WINDOWS installation could be listed as 3: C:\WINDOWS or 3: D:\WINDOWS .
If prompted, enter your Administrator password and press Enter . If there is no password, just press Enter .
At the prompt, if the WINDOWS installation you selected in Step 4 was C:\WINDOWS, type:
cd c:\
Or, if the WINDOWS installation you selected in Step 4 was D:\WINDOWS, type:
cd d:\
At the prompt, type:
attrib -c ntldr
and then press Enter .
At the prompt, type: exit
Press the Enter key and immediately remove all discs or diskettes from the computer to allow the computer to restart.
The error message should be resolved.

Hope this will help.