Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

connected to "unsecured" wireless network, but no internet acc

• Please log in to reply

mindydee113

mindydee113

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I'll start out by saying my internet connection is complete crap! However, that is a whole nother issue to be worked out between myself and AT&T. The internet connection is always cutting in and out. I usually give up on my wireless connection and switch to an unsecured one in my range. There are two unsecured networks in my range. I can connect to the one with rather poor reception. The second one has great reception. I have 4 out of 5 bars and can connect to it no problem, but for some reason, that is about as far as I can get. I cannot seem to access the internet at all. I'm assuming this second connection is some sort of business, but I'm not sure where. I can see it listed twice under networks in my range. One says the name of the connection and the other says the same name with "guest" listed after it. This is the unsecured one of the two. Any ideas how to get onto this network until I work out my issues with AT&T or switch to a new IP?

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Sorry but connecting to an unsecured network that isn't yours is very illegal. Can't help you here. Suggest you get your troubles fixed with your service provider ASAP if you want internet access.

Murray

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
I don't think any help can be offered to you since you are clearly piggybacking someone else's internet connection without authorized use. Just because someone isn't securing there wireless network doesn't mean you are free to use their connection.