Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Screen Going Black

• Please log in to reply

hallsballs0

hallsballs0

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I was trying to move a website to my bookmark list (in Firefox) and all of a sudden the screen froze. Then everything on the screen became magnified. I rebooted and then got the blue screen of death. Blue screen stated probable cause of nv4_disp. Stop: 0x000000EA (0x893DEDA8, Ox89DFE008, OxF78B2CB4, Oxoo000001). I rebooted again and now I知 getting these little glitches through the screen when I知 typing or scrolling as if the screen is going to go out, but it doesn稚. Then when I try to open a new browser or drag something w/ my mouse the entire screen goes black for 2 seconds and then comes back. I went to the Dell website and downloaded a new video driver (Dell Dimension 4600) and then it told me that the new driver wasn't certified by Microsoft and the resolution became all messed up. I then used the installation disk and reinstalled the original video driver. Resolution is now back to normal, but it didn't solve the original problem. Could this mean that my video card is going bad? As I'm typing this message I keep getting random black lines shooting across the screen as if the screen is going to go black again.

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Sounds like a video card failing. You can try a different monitor/cable to verify, but it seems like the video card is the culprit.

hallsballs0

hallsballs0

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I ordered a new video card, but just today when I turned the computer on the mouse and keyboard stopped working. I'm assuming this no longer means a problem w/ the video card...possibly motherboard instead?

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Define stopped working. Locked up? Lagging? If you hit the num lock key on the keyboard does the light go on?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Please see this
http://www.andovercg...4600-series.pdf
It may well have been a Video card fault but it could have been a ram fault
Sometimes this error message on the next blue screen can be followed with a memory error stop code.
Some Dell 4600`s came with an integrated video on the motherboard, if yours did it will have a monitor connection on the rear of the computer on the I/O panel, below the mouse and keyboard.
A separate card connector is lower down.
Did you check the lights on the Dell 4600 to see what they indicated.

Try F2 on switching on and see if it will boot to BIOS it maybe the demand on the ram when Windows loads that is causing the issue.

If that works make yourself a bootable CD for memory test
http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

Edited by Macboatmaster, 10 September 2010 - 04:05 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Further to the above it is too late now but you should never go to the expense of ordering a new card, ram etc until you have postively identified the fault. It can prove a very expensive mistake.
There are many ways to test the graphics card either with specific programs OR by "borrowing" an old basic card of the same motherboard slots and trying that. Many small computer repair businesses will be only too willing to provide you with an old card from a computer they have taken in part-ex that they are dismantling for parts, against a few £s on the understanding that if it is that they will then sell you the one required. Some old basic graphics cards are now worthless as from a selling point of view.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 10 September 2010 - 04:04 PM.

hallsballs0

hallsballs0

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The new video card came today. I installed it and all seems to right in the universe again!! LOL Thank you all for your suggestions! :)