Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Chkdsk running at startup.

• Please log in to reply

reconman

reconman

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Hello, so on September 4th, I booted up my computer only to have it restart during (or possibly right before, my monitor didn't bring up the display yet) post. It successfully booted on the restart but only to have chkdsk come up.

Chkdsk found no errors so I didn't think too much of it, though I did do a little research. The next day, I was still wondering what caused chkdsk to run so I scheduled chkdsk to run again through the system properties window with 'Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors' checked. It took the around 5 hours, again, no errors detected.

Chkdsk now seams to run almost every I boot the computer, so obviously something isn't right.

After doing some searching I found that the error causing chkdsk to run was Error ID: 55. This is a brand new build (about a week old) so I'm hoping it's a not so serious software issue. Another thing to note is that I found out my mom was screwing with our circuit board the same day, so that may have something to do with this as well.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by reconman, 07 September 2010 - 02:13 PM.

Advertisements

reconman

reconman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Little update, earlier today I used the 'chkntfs' command in the command prompt and it showed my main drive was dirty. I ran Auslogic Disk Defragger (twice) in case the error was being caused by fragmented/misplaced files and then had Auslogic's system cleanup program (downloaded the trial) do a disk cleanup. Rebooted, let chkdsk do its thing (I skipped it that last time I booted up) and then shutdown, booted back up, no chkdsk this time.

Then I ran the 'chkntfs' command again and it showed that my drive was not dirty, perhaps degragging solved the problem but only time will tell.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just to be sure please do the following.

Check and see if the hard drive is dirty. Please click on START-->RUN and type cmd. In the new window that appears, type fsutil dirty query c: and hit ENTER. If what appears on the screen says Volume - c: IS Dirty, then please do the following:

Please check the following before proceeding:
  • If you have Spyware Doctor installed, uninstall it.
  • If you have ZoneAlarm installed, open it, click the "Overview" tab, then select "Preferences", and UNcheck the "Protect ZA Client" check box.
Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the prompt in the Command window, type the following commands, pressing "Enter" after each one:

Substitute the drive letter for the drive your want to check for the ? in the following commands. Please note the spaces.
  • chkntfs /d ..... (This will reset autocheck options to default...will come back invalid on some installations)
  • chkntfs /c ?: ..... (This will allow checking the specified drive )
  • chkntfs /x ?: ..... (The x switch tells Windows to NOT check the specified drive on the next boot)
At this point, restart your computer, it will not do a chkdsk and will boot directly to Windows.

This next step is important as this is where the Dirty Bit will be unset.

Substitute the drive letter for the drive your want to check for the ? in the following commands.

Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the command prompt, type the following, pressing "Enter" after each one: (Again, note the spaces.)
  • chkdsk /f /r ?: ..... (To manually run a full chkdsk operation on the specified drive)
  • Y ..... (To accept having it run on the next boot)
This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset the Dirty Bit. Be patient...this is a very thorough check and will take quite a while.

Finally, when the chkdsk operation has completed, type fsutil dirty query ?:, press "Enter", and Windows will confirm that the Dirty Bit is not set on that drive.

Reboot again and see if chkdsk still runs on startup. If the machine boots back up to the command prompt, type exit and press "Enter"...it should boot to Windows.

reconman

reconman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Thanks for the instructions, rshaffer61. I ran the 'fsutil dirty query' command from the command prompt and the message 'Volume - c: is NOT dirty.' appeared.

So it looks like my HDD is good, I haven't had any chkdsk run prompts on start up since defragging as well.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is great to hear..congrats for a successful resolution to your issue. Enjoy the rest of the forums and the wealth of knowledge.

reconman

reconman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Well, I just booted up my system and chkdsk ran again... no errors detected and I ran the commands above and they still say the disk is not dirty. One thing I notice is that when chkdsk runs (at least I notice it the most when it runs), there's this odd "squeaking" noise.

I put my ear next to the case and it's the loudest when my ear is next to the PSU. Perhaps my PSU is going out? It's hardly a week old and it's a Corsair TX850 but perhaps I received a bad unit?

Thanks for the help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can open the system and be able to get a better ideal where the noise is coming from.
Check to make sure the fan in the back of the PSU is turning when you turn it on.

reconman

reconman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
My GTX470 is right above the PSU (PSU is bottom mounted) and I was reading that some of the GTX cards have a noise problem with some of the coils if I remember correctly. That being said, with the case open, I can still hear it the clearest right next to the PSU.

The fan is turning, all the blades are there, etc but it does sound like it may be the fans ball-bearings or something similar.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Very possible.
Try blowing the psu out with some compressed air and see if that helps.
If still making the noise you may have to remove the psu and try booting the system with it setting outside of the case.

reconman

reconman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
I used the 'fsutil dirty query' again the other day and it once again said my drive was dirty, so I followed the instructions you posted in #3. Chkdsk ran for about 6 hours and when I logged into my account, I was greeted with an error message related to an Avira Anti-vir file (attached).

The drive is shown as not dirty once again but I'm not sure if the problem is actually solved this time. I also noticed that last night, the left click on my mouse isn't functioning properly. Sometimes I have to click 3+ times just to have it register. It could just be going out though, I'll have to try a different mouse to see.

error.jpg

Advertisements

reconman

reconman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
More info to add to the puzzle. I was using the Sandbox2 program for modding Crysis and had a BSOD. I took a look at the dump files and it said that cmdguard.sys could be the problem. My firewall is Comodo (not anymore, I just uninstalled it, using Windows firewall atm) so this would seem to indicate that the BSOD had something to do with it.

I also have a few other dump files from when I was trying to OC my cpu (took all the overclocks off before this chkdsk problem) but there was one dump that had the same info as this newest one. My drive is dirty again as well.

Searched the registry for any remaining Comodo entries and there's still a good amount on there, didn't delete any as I don't know what all of them do.

When you get the time, let me know what steps you'd like me to take. Thanks for all your help so far :)

Edited by reconman, 09 September 2010 - 11:42 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Searched the registry for any remaining Comodo entries and there's still a good amount on there, didn't delete any as I don't know what all of them do.

Nope don't mess with registry you could mess a lot of deleting something.
Try this.
Download and install Revo Uninstaller
  • Double click the Revo Uninstaller icon on your desktop to start the program
  • Scroll through the listed programs and Right Click on the program you wish to uninstall
  • From the pop out menu choose Uninstall
  • Click Yes to the confirmation dialogue
  • In the next window select the Advanced mode
  • Click Next to start uninstalling the program
  • Answer Yes to confirm the uninstall
  • When the program has completed the four steps, click Next to allow the program to search for leftovers
  • Once complete, click Next, then Finish
  • Repeat the above steps for any other programs you wish to remove.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

reconman

reconman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Comodo doesn't show up in the uninstall list. I did get another BSOD while I was shutting the computer down yesterday. Perhaps I should upload all of my dump files for someone who has experience with them? I'm starting to suspect it's simply a good amount of driver conflictions but I could be wrong.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
  • Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso VEW and save it to your Desktop:
  • Double-click VEW.exe
  • Under 'Select log to query', select (as appropriate):
    • Application
    • System
  • Under 'Select type to list', select (as appropriate):
    • Error
Then use the 'Date of events' or 'Number of events' as follows:

Either:
  • Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
    Type 6 in the 1 to 20 box (or any number from 1 to 20)
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.

• Click the radio button for 'Date of events'
    In the From: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 13 07 2009
    In the To: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 13 07 2009
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.
Please post the Output log in your next reply

reconman

reconman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Here's the requested log:
---------------------------------------------------------
Vino's Event Viewer v01c run on Windows 2008 in English
Report run at 11/09/2010 1:54:38 PM

Note: All dates below are in the format dd/mm/yyyy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'Application' Log - Critical Type
'Application' Log - Error Type
Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 11/09/2010 9:14:55 AM
Type: Error Category: 101
Event: 1002 Source: Application Hang
The program firefox.exe version 1.9.2.3888 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel. Process ID: 1220 Start Time: 01cb51850aa8785b Termination Time: 23 Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe Report Id: 04236f44-bd85-11df-a9ea-1c6f65311cb3

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 11/09/2010 8:02:46 AM
Type: Error Category: 0
Event: 8194 Source: VSS
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface. hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied. . This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process.

Operation:
Gathering Writer Data

Context:
Writer Class Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}
Writer Name: System Writer
Writer Instance ID: {d52ecfe9-ab23-4dff-a61c-0342a540adba}

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 11/09/2010 2:26:16 AM
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface. hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied. . This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process.

Operation:
Gathering Writer Data

Context:
Writer Instance ID: {49448a76-2811-45f7-922a-d77d60db917d}

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 11/09/2010 2:04:28 AM
Type: Error Category: 101
Event: 1002 Source: Application Hang
The program hl2.exe version 0.0.0.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel. Process ID: 1210 Start Time: 01cb51559fdf5b35 Termination Time: 11 Application Path: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\cluck_cluck\team fortress 2\hl2.exe Report Id: e6240a6b-bd48-11df-a267-1c6f65311cb3

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 11/09/2010 1:04:28 AM

Operation:
Gathering Writer Data

Context:
Writer Instance ID: {eb62d5f7-b015-4dc1-aa74-664b402e926f}

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 10/09/2010 11:29:24 PM
Type: Error Category: 100
Event: 1000 Source: Application Error
Faulting application name: svchost.exe_SysMain, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bc3c1 Faulting module name: sysmain.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5be07e Exception code: 0xc0000005 Fault offset: 0x000000000005432f Faulting process id: 0x268 Faulting application start time: 0x01cb5138e2a74c0a Faulting application path: C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe Faulting module path: c:\windows\system32\sysmain.dll Report Id: 3e46182c-bd33-11df-a9ff-1c6f65311cb3

'System' Log - Critical Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 10/09/2010 10:35:06 PM
Type: Critical Category: 63
Event: 41 Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 10/09/2010 10:31:38 PM
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 10/09/2010 8:57:57 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 10/09/2010 4:01:50 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 05/09/2010 6:57:47 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 31/08/2010 4:55:44 AM

'System' Log - Error Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 11/09/2010 8:47:19 PM
Event: 7000 Source: Service Control Manager
The WUSB54GSv2SVC service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 11/09/2010 7:32:46 AM
The WUSB54GSv2SVC service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 11/09/2010 6:08:10 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 11/09/2010 1:56:14 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 11/09/2010 12:34:28 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 10/09/2010 11:29:24 PM
Event: 7031 Source: Service Control Manager
The Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 120000 milliseconds: Restart the service.