Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Java application causing BSOD in a dual boot setup

• Please log in to reply

Jozef

Jozef

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello everyone. I hope this thread is not in incorrect forum, as I wasn't entirely sure what would be the best place to start it in.

Here is my problem.

I am running both Vista Ultimate and Kubuntu 10.04 on my laptop, both 32-bit. There is a separate NTFS partition on HDD that I use to store data from both operating systems. Various types of files are opened, modified and saved from/in both OS and I never had any problems until now*.

There is a Java application stored on that partition, which I open from both OS. The application downloads files from an online location and saves them in a subfolder. If I do this in Windows and later open the application from Kubuntu, there are no problems. However, if I download the files from Kubuntu, log into Vista and open the application from there, when I close the application I get hit with the "page fault in nonpaged area" BSOD.

If I do a chkdsk -f on data partition it fixes errors and then the application closes fine, but only until it writes to that partition from Kubuntu again, when the same BSOD occurs.

Any idea what causes the crash and if it is fixable? Note that it is not when I start the Java application, or download/modify/save the files that the BSOD occurs, but when I attempt to close the application.

Thanks

* - now in the sense that this is the first and only Java application that I open from both OS. The problem itself exists since I installed both OS, which was about 1.5 years ago (Kubuntu has been upgraded since, with no change in BSOD problem).

Advertisements

Jozef

Jozef

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
No ideas?

I have looked into the dump files and it suggests the process called ntoskrnl.exe could be a problem. I have looked it up and it's a Windows NT kernel image or some such important thingy, but that doesn't help me solve the problem at all.