Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AntiVirus software vs. Anti-Malware software

• Please log in to reply

slyrichard

slyrichard

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I just did the steps in your Malware Removal Guide, and it appears that it was successful in removing the nasties that were slowing down my computer. Thanks, the check is in the mail. I gave Kaspersky AV the heave-ho and loaded Microsoft Security Essentials. My questions are: Is there an advantage to having Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on my system along with MSE? Will they play well together? Is anti-malware software different from anti-virus software. Thanks, Sly Richard

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi slyrichard,

Welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

This post would be more suited for the Software Forum. Don't be surprised if it is moved there. :)

It's great to hear that you found success in removing the nasties that were invading your computer. Though I feel that it's always a good idea to post your logs in the Security Forum to verify that you are free and clear of all infections.

You may also want to use the removal tool for Kaspersky to ensure that all the residual files were removed that can cause conflicts if left behind.

Removal tool for Kaspersky Lab products

As for your questions:

My questions are: Is there an advantage to having Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on my system along with MSE? Will they play well together? Is anti-malware software different from anti-virus software.

Yes! There is an advantage to having Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on your system along with MSE. If you were to ever get re-infected and unable to connect to the internet it would be accessible. And yes, they will play well together because MSE is a Realtime AV Program that is used to prevent, detect, and remove malware, including computer viruses, worms, and trojan horses. Such programs may also prevent and remove adware, spyware, and other forms of malware. Where as MBAM is an Anti-Malware Program that is used solely for detection and removal of malware software that has found its way past your security and is ran On Demand and does not run in Realtime as MSE.

Here are a couple of links to help educate you and hopefully prevent you from becoming infected in the future:

Malware FAQ Frequently Asked Questions

Be sure to click on the link in #6. How did I get infected? by Tony Klein.

And, if you would like to learn more about removing malware and spyware, Join Geek U! and help us fight the battle against Cyber Criminals. Hope to see you there!

Happy Computing! :)

Donna :)

Edited by DonnaB, 08 September 2010 - 09:45 PM.