Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost photos on external hard drive

• Please log in to reply

sabinacwik

sabinacwik

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a external hard drive that I put all my photos on so they are safe.

I have recently uploaded about 400 photos onto the hard drive and looking today all the pictures on there have disappeared.

I have been searching around for about half an hour now and have found some photo's, but in different locations.

Could someone please help me find the rest as there are a lot.

Thanks

Sabina

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,
First off, are you sure all the photos were actually copied to the external drive? I know, sounds like a silly question, but it is valid. Also, when you copied them over, did you specify a location, like a specific folder? Lastly, and hopefully, you didn't delete the photos you tried to back up. Do you still have the originals on your computer? If so, try copying them over to the external again to see what happens.

Lost data is tough to recover even with the best tools unless you know the name of the files you're looking for. In the case of 400 photos, the only way to find them if you don't know the names is to do multiple searches either with recovery tools, or manually. This can take a very long time especially when you're hunting for specific file extensions like jpeg, tiff, gifs, pngs.