Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Explorer opens after booting

• Please log in to reply

Espoo

Espoo

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I started reusing a formerly functional D-Link wireless card on XP after a break of more than two years and this caused a bsod, even when trying to install a new driver. The bsod mentioned rt61.sys, which i finally figured out i should manually delete (move to another folder) from system32\drivers after wasting time with D-Link's completely useless/nonexistent and incompetent tech support and website support info.

The card is working now, but the computer keeps opening an explorer window with the folder C:\Program Files\D-Link\AirPlus G. This is only a minor annoyance, but explorer.exe also hogs quite a bit of CPU after booting. (This happens even if i close the window before restarting. Just to be sure, i turned off "restore previous folder windows at logon".) I have read many forum discussions on this topic, but they all seem to be dealing with the root or windows or system 32 folders or with problems caused by Norton's firewall, which i don't have.

I checked startup items and win.ini using msconfig and Startup Control Panel and there is only an entry with a path to the correct folder C:\Program Files\D-Link\AirPlus G DWL-G630 (where the new driver is), not to the incorrect, old folder C:\Program Files\D-Link\AirPlus G. I also ran CCleaner and went through the registry and manually deleted all entries referring to the old folder, but the situation is unchanged. I would no doubt get rid of the explorer popup if i manually deleted the old folder in explorer, but that would probably not get rid of the CPU hogging and perhaps make it worse.

Another reason i don't want to remove the old, empty installation folder is that i realised we may all have such errors due to borked uninstallations on our computers, and these can help explain why some even new computers are sluggish after booting and later.

Thanks for any ideas or help

Advertisements