Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Updates on Computer Shut Down

• Please log in to reply

jbljohn

jbljohn

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
I am running Windows XP Service Pack 3 and Avast Anti-virus. I have recently noted that everytime (last 10-15 times) I shut my computer down I get a message that automatic updates are being run and one update is run. In the past I would get an update every month or so. Other than these updates running the computer runs fine. Is this something that I should just leave alone or is there a fix for this?

Thanks in advance for your help.
--Jay

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Best thing to do is when the computer is running look for the yellow exclamation mark on shield icon down by the clock. This will tell you which update(s) are pending and may be getting stuck. You can install them from there as opposed to on shut-down.

Edited by Neil Jones, 09 September 2010 - 02:58 AM.

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
Thanks. I did as you indicated. The message I got was after running the updates was: Some Updates can not be Installed - "Microsoft .NETFramewpork3.5 Servuce Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family update for .NET version 2.0 through3.5 (KB951847)x86"

What does this mean, and more importantly what do I do?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Download and install manually:
http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
Neil, Still no success with download. After downloading and attempting to download manually the sequence I get is 1. Setup loading installation components - 2. I Accept use of program - 3. Downloading then after several minutes I get Download complete you may now disconnect from the internet - 4. Then "an error has occurred in setup"

Ideas?
Thanks!