Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Optical Drive Won't Fails to Recognize DVDs

• Please log in to reply

Loganbiz

Loganbiz

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
The problem I am having is on an HP Pavilion operating with Windows XP. The optical drive is a TSST corp CD/DVDW TS-H652L. The drive operates fine with CDs. It does not recognize DVDs DVD-R or DVDRW at all. I have uninstalled and reinstalled drivers. I have updated firmware. I have uninstalled and reinstalled IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. It was all to no avail. I am considering replacing the drive, however I have a nagging suspicion that this is a software problem rather than a hardware problem. The drive first failed after a malware attack. I have gone through the steps in the malware removal guide. All seems well, except for this drive problem. Are there possible solutions I should try? Should I just buy a new drive and put it in? Should I back up everything to an external hard drive and just reinstall the operating system? I would welcome any advice. Thank you for your time.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Sounds like a dead laser.
If it's a dead laser you can reinstall until the cows come home and it'll still be a dead laser.

New DVD writers are practically being given away at the moment.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I agree with Neil also. I should add that it sounds like the DVD read side of the drive is the dead side. The cd read side continues to work but i can guarantee that will die also.
Replacement cost depending on brand will run about 35 USD not including shipping if you buy online.

Loganbiz

Loganbiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ok, I will go ahead and order a new drive. I just wanted some reassurance. I have never installed one, but figure it should be pretty straight forward. Thanks for your help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you received the new drive and is everything working correctly now? :D

Loganbiz

Loganbiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Sorry for such a long delay in response. I originally ordered the wrong drive, it was incompatible. I reordered and got the proper drive. It does work now. Thank you. I tried to reinstall the old drive as a secondary drive, but so far have not been successful in getting the computer to recognize that it has another drive. I am researching that issue right now. But thank you for your help. The problem was apparently a bad drive.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are both drives IDE or PATA as they are commonly called?
Do you have them on the same ribbon and is one set as master and the other set as slave by switching the jumper located on the back of each drive?

Loganbiz

Loganbiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
The are both IDE. (The incompatible one that I accidentally ordered was SATA). They are connected to the same cable. I did set the jumpers, but I am wondering if I actually made a mistake. I am thinking I should open it back up and take another look. I set the new drive (which is in the old position)to master and the old one to slave. The new drive is working, however the system is identifying it as the model of the old one. It is not recognizing that there is an additional drive. The second drive has power, but isn't recognized on the system.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would say at this point the old drive is a lost cause.
Try disconnecting power from both drives then boot back into windows.
This should clear all the cdrom drives from your list.l
Then shut down and plug power only to the new cdrom drive and reboot. Does it now identify correctly for you?
If so then I would take out the old drive,

Loganbiz

Loganbiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks. It is identifying correctly now. :D Thanks for all your help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is great to hear. :D
Congratulations. ;) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. ;) ;)
T