Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help choosing a new video card

• Please log in to reply

VictorL

VictorL

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Guys, I need some help choosing a new video/graphics card. My system specs are as follow:

Dell Studio 540
Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 ( 2.40 Ghz, 1066 Mhx FSB), w/8MB Cache

4 GB DDR2 SDram 800mhz

Windows Vista 64bit

I was thinking of getting a Nvidia Geforce 260 GS but I am not sure if this card or any of nvidias newer cards would overload or adversely tax my curent MB and power supply. I am a total PC noob and would appreciate any advice.

Thank you.

VictorL

*edited for spelling*

Edited by VictorL, 08 September 2010 - 11:20 AM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi and welcome,

What power supply is inside that Dell?

Cheers

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
If you have the stock DELL PSU that comes with your system (a 300/350 watts) it will limit what video card you can connect to it.

Verify your PSU and when looking for a video card look at there recommendation of minimum PSU

or buy a better PSU (500/600 watts) and you will be able to buy and install your 260 GS

VictorL

VictorL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks to both of you for your quick replies. I should have checked my PSU to begin with and for that I apologize. I will double check it tonight after work and post what I have. I'll will most likely do as you recommend and buy a new power supply unit.

Thanks

VictorL

VictorL

VictorL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Alzeimer you were correct I have a 350 watt PSU in my PC. thank you for your advice to check it first or I would have bought a Vid card that would have burned my pc out. anyway looks like I need a new PSU. Thank you all for your help.

VictorL