Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD FLTMGR.sys

• Please log in to reply

Sheldy

Sheldy

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
I have a older Dell Dimension XPS with a RAID (Striping) setup. I initially got the BSOD with a error message:
*** STOP: 0x0000007B(0XF7B80524, 0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

I tried going into 'Last Known Good Configuration'... and got the BSOD. I then tried Safe Mode and also got the BSOD. So I figured it was hardware failure. I've run some tests using the hardware diagnostics Dell has on the utility partition, but all tests came back good. (now that I think of it I hadn't ran a full scan in the diagnostics, I had used the 'symptom tree' and ran some obvious ones like for BSOD and had been meaning to do a full scan just haven't yet)

So I then tried an in place upgrade of Windows XP, hoping I'd be able to recover some files off this system.

After doing the in place upgrade though I get a different BSOD at startup with the error message being:

FLTMGR.sys - address F738B2B2 at F7373000, Datestamp 408025lda

I hope this is right, sorry I am at another computer in another location posting what I wrote. Anyone have some suggestions? I've tried searching the site, but hadn't found any solutions, my apologies if this has already been dealt with!

Edited by Sheldy, 08 September 2010 - 10:59 PM.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
0x0000007B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

Windows lost access to the system partition or boot volume during the startup process. Typical causes: Installing incorrect device drivers when installing or upgrading storage adapter hardware, or a virus.

As for: FLTMGR.sys - address F738B2B2 at F7373000, Datestamp 408025lda

It is sometimes related to Norton who uses a similar filter manager file (do you have Norton installed)
It is also related to Windows 2000 and Installing update rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4 (KB891861) to fix the issue
Did you upgrade your DELL from Windows 2000 to Windows XP.

Sheldy

Sheldy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Yeah sorry, I had read the STOP message thread on this site last night when I was doing the post, but had already tried the in place upgrade. I hadn't done any upgrades or installed any device drivers lately... so I'm guessing virus?

As for FLTMGR.sys, yes I have Norton 360, and this system came with XP Professional, so no I didn't upgrade from 2000. I hope this helps! Thanks for any help or suggestions you can provide.

Edited by Sheldy, 09 September 2010 - 12:51 PM.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
0x0000007B could be a faulty HD or a hard drive with bad sectors

Can you run in Safe Mode, if you can i would suggest uninstalling Norton completely using this tool

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

Try rebooting to see if this has fix your BSOD and if you can boot normally you have a choice of either reinstall Norton 360 or use another A/V

Also if you can boot normally run a CHKDSK /R on your C:/ drive to find and try to fix any bad sectors and errors.

To run CHKDSK go to My Computer right Click on C: choose properties, choose the tab TOOLS and choose Error Checking.
Your system should reboot if not reboot it yourself and chkdsk should work before windows reloads, it might take a long time so let it run until the end. If it says found errors and fix them redo the same process until you get a message that no errors were found.

Sheldy

Sheldy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I haven't been able to boot it... normally, or in safe mode.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
use your XP cd and boot from it, use the recovery console to run the chkdsk

Here is the an helper on how to use chkdsk in recovery console.

http://kb.wisc.edu/h...age.php?id=5097

Sheldy

Sheldy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I'm pretty sure the chkdsk /r from the recovery console came back clean. Sorry I should have added this in my original post. Any other ideas? I'll try the chkdsk after work again just to confirm. Thanks for your help!

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics.

Sheldy

Sheldy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
that was my first thought... failing hard drive, but from the diagnostics I ran from the Utility partition, they hard drives passed. Would running the hard drive diagnostics be better?

Edited by Sheldy, 09 September 2010 - 01:51 PM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Always good to get a second opinion :)

Make of your drive(s)?

Advertisements

Sheldy

Sheldy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
They are 160GB WD-XL80's

I'm thinking you want me to run the tests in Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD)
Version: Version 5.04f :)

Edited by Sheldy, 09 September 2010 - 02:13 PM.

Sheldy

Sheldy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Ok I just did Extended Tests on the two drives:

1st drive
Quick test:
Test completed without errors
Error/status code: 0000
Full media scan:
No errors found

2nd drive
Quick test:
Test completed without errors
Full media scan:
No errors found

I then tried booting, but still get the BSOD with FLTMGR.sys and noticed the Stop message is Stop: 0x0000007E

Edited by Sheldy, 09 September 2010 - 09:00 PM.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
I still think your FLTMGR.sys error is still related to your Norton 360 but until you can boot in any mode we will not know for sure.

Maybe you can try to use the sfc /scannow to repair any damage or replaced system files, make sure you are using the same service pack xp cd as your OS is now (sp2 or sp3)

Sheldy

Sheldy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
ok... I have the XP CD that came with the system, but I think that was pre-SP2... and I have SP3 installed on system. I might need some help slip-streaming (I think that's the term?) to make a SP3 CD...

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Download the program NLite it is an easy way to slipstream any service pack, drivers and to personalize your windows installation as you desire.

http://nlite.en.softonic.com/