Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Repair

• Please log in to reply

Condor62

Condor62

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I am unable to get scanner or printer to work, after uninstalling they will not reinstall from cd or from download of driver from internet. MS paint will not work either, nothing works using system restore. I tried to use the xp repair facility from original cd as per instructions but could not get it to boot from disk, tried the altering bios to boot from disk but no luck. XP setup runs when computer is running but does not offer repair option and says as my system is newer (I presume SP3 ) it can only delete it and install older version. Any idea how I can repair XP SP3 ? in simple rems for a silver surfer.

Thanks

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
If your XP cd will not boot it is either because

1- You did not save your bios changes (some you save and quit, others you have to press F10 first to accept the changes) and you are still booting from Hard Drive first
2- Your cd is damage
3- Your cd is a copy that was not burned properly and you have no boot loader on it

Is this the cd you receive when you bought your computer, is it on OEM cd (fom Dell, HP, ACER ect) or is it a Retail Version.

When you are trying to boot from the cd do you see your computer right after your BIOS POST seeking a boot cd first or does it go directly to loading Windows

Normally when you boot from the cd you will see a message that says "Press any key to boot from cd" (you have 5 seconds to press a key)

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
You will need an XP CD with SP3...perhaps you can borrow one from a friend?

If not, you will need to do a clean install using the disc you have.

Condor62

Condor62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for reply. the cd is original microsoft with code sticker which came new with computer says 2002 sp2.

computer goes straight to loading xp from bios

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

computer goes straight to loading xp from bios

I would try again to go into your BIOS and change your boot order making sure your new setting are saved.

What is the model of your PC (dell???, Hp??? ect) or what is the model of your motherboard.