Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very Slow Download/Upload Speeds On New Lenovo Thinkpad With Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

annie tree

annie tree

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I would really appreciate some help with my brand new Lenovo Thinkpad SL410. Here are the some specs:

Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T6570 @ 2.10 GHz
1 GB RAM
32-bit Operating System
Running Windows 7

My issue is with internet connection speed, and it has become very frustrating. I have no problems connecting with my Netgear wireless router - the system tells me I am connected at 11 Mbps. However, internet pages take forever to load, and downloading is simply out of the question. It took me almost 4 hours to download Google Chrome. I did a speed test out of curiosity, and the results were this:

Ping- 119ms
Download- 0.02 Mb/s
Upload- 0.15 Mb/s

For some further information, I have for the past year been using a Dell Inspiron on the same wireless router. It is running Windows Vista. I have never encountered anything similar on it, and the speed test results are ping 57 ms, download 3.87 Mb/s, and upload 1 Mb/s. We have one other PC using this router and have never had an issue with it either.

Here is what I've tried so far:

- Turning off the Windows 7 firewall

- Turning off "protected mode" on Internet Explorer

- Running Anti-Virus / Spyware detectors, even though this problem was there from the moment I first turned on the computer

- Downloading & Using Firefox and Google Chrome to figure out if this was an Internet Explorer 8 problem - both ran equally slow

This is as far as my expertise goes, and it would be very helpful to me if someone could maybe give me some advice on what to try next. Thanks a lot!

Advertisements