Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can i wipe my hard drive

• Please log in to reply

napalmducky

napalmducky

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm looking to sell my laptop for parts or as is. (hasn't turned on in 3-4 mos) And i know i need to delete my info on there. If anyone can help me i'd appreciate it

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Take the hard drive out.
Turn it upside down and in most cases it's hiding under one of the panels.

Welshhobo

Welshhobo

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
That isnt what he asked, he asked how can he wipe his hard drive clean.

Unless you have extremely sensitive/personal data that your terrified someone else might read, then a simple reformat of the hard drive will wipe it clean. If your using windows, this is a simple case of popping the CD in and making sure you computer boots from CD first. To do this, as soon as your computer starts youll be met with a POST screen (this is the screen that has something like DELL, TOSHIBA, ASUS or some other company name written on it), youll have an option to enter BIOS setup or Boot Menu by pushing F2, F10, Del or some similar button. You want to go to your Boot Menu if its possible, but you can also do this from your BIOS. If your on the boot menu, just highlight CD and press enter. If on your BIOS screen, go to Boot Order (or something similarly worded) and put CD to the top of the boot list. You should now boot from CD if the CD has a boot sector - which Windows installation discs have. If using XP, follow the instructions that appear on the screen to reformat, and the same when using Windows Vista or 7 until when you reach a screen which has all your "partitions" on. Delete every partition, then do a full (not quick) reformat. This my take a while, and this option can only be seen in Windows 7 setup by pressing "Advanced Options" when choosing what partition you want to install windows on.

Note that you don't have to install windows, once reformatted, you can turn off and start selling for parts :)

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
If the machine is not working, then you would need to take the disk out and connect it to another machine. You can do that with an external enclosure or there are some test connectors. If the disk is of a decent size, you might want to get the external enclosure for backup purposes.

Once you get the disk attached in a usable manner, you can use DBAN to wipe the disk. If you have other disks attached to the system, make sure that you wipe the correct disk.

DBAN

There is a lot of data that you really don't want to "share" with others, do it is a good idea to wipe any disk out before you get rid of the disk. Even the password that you used, and which can be broken, could be used against you in that it gives an idea of what you use for a password. This is especially true if you use the same password for many things (bad idea).

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts

(hasn't turned on in 3-4 mos)

If you can't get it to turn on then you need to follow what Kemasa stated.
Otherwise you can burn the DBAN program to a CD and boot the laptop with the CD to wipe the laptop drive.

Word of caution (again) if using DBAN that you wipe the correct disk.