Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Considering buying someones PC

• Please log in to reply

epics

epics

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
alright i suppose ill just save the money! how about my monitor. do you think my monitor would handle the graphics card at max potential? its an Acer h233h

Advertisements

epics

epics

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
http://www.tigerdire...302&srkey=h233h linkedh ere

epics

epics

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
Do you guys think that a soundcard would increase microphone quality? I know it allows sounds to play from different places (onboard audio / sound card / usb headphones) But I was thinkinga bout microphone quality. While researching it I learned about windows recording quality (CD, DVD, TAPE, STUDIO)and how they can effect the strength / quality of a mic. But I've never owned a soundcard that was seperate, and I can only seem to learn about how it effects sound quality (as in, exiting sounds, speakers etc) instead of input sounds. Any experience with that?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The sound card included with the motherboard is a sound blaster I believe of which I have used for the past 10 years. i have tried others but always end up back with them.
Also consider that the microphone input is only one of the issues you have to consider. The best sound card can only sound as good as the microphone you use so make sure it is as good as the high end sound card on the board. If you want true studio sound you may have to look at some studio grade sound software. Be prepared because they are not cheap in price.

epics

epics

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
hmm.. i think im pretty happy with how it is then. Im just going to save for future upgrades i suppose.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah that would be a good ideal. Maybe a better speaker system or monitor if you so choose. Also just a suggestion maybe another larger hd. :D

epics

epics

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
are there monitors that make a significant difference? I have some small old TV and that monitor i posted in link.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Monitors won't make any difference with the speed of the system.
Just may make video look a little better.
I personally see nothing you need to add to make your system any better at this point.

epics

epics

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
alright then il make the final purchases tommorow. I keep reading about how the radeon 5970 runs hot. im looking into getting it a better fan. I dont want anything massively complicated though.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835118001

would the above item make a significant difference in your opinion? reviews say it does, eeven if minor. but i notice the case we bought has a really big side fan.

edit: its important to me because, as i said earlier, there wil always be someone gaming or using this PC 24 hours a day, (live with someone who works a night shift)

Edited by epics, 26 September 2010 - 05:38 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not sure you need it with the large fan on the side of the case. I have a Ati card also and it runs cool with that large fan blowing cool air on top of it.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Installing a vga fan like that would involve disassembling the graphics card and take the stock heatsink and fan off of the card. I wouldn't recommend that to you. It's fairly advanced, and probably voids the warranty on the card. So it could be an expensive mistake.

All GPU's run hot, I would just see how the setup ends up turning out for you and if there is a need to improve cooling, then address it then. Some of the reviews you may be reading could be by advanced system builders/techies that consider a couple degrees in temperature difference as a big deal, when in reality it's not. So just see how it goes.

epics

epics

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
will do guys! ill reply friday when everythings in. im ordering it monday night.

epics

epics

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
hey guys its me again. everything was ordered and is running awesomely! max graphics (running 3 major games at once sometimes) and not even the tiniest bits of lag or hiccups. My only problem now is VoIP. Apparently windows 7 ruins the microphone with onboard audio? (according to what I read) and the few steps ive taken havent been able to help me fix my low mic volume, even with a 3db mic boost. So I plan on purchasing a seperate soundcard so I can get some good VoIP / microphone usage. anyone recommend one? I plan on using a standard headset, like the one from Astro gaming, it has the standard mic / headset cables. Also has cables for surround sound (not sure how that works with headphones) but im mostly interested in something simple, but good. I was looking on newegg and saw these..

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16829271005

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16829271005

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16829271004

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16829132010

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It is great to hear you have a system that you are now happy with.

Apparently windows 7 ruins the microphone with onboard audio? (according to what I read) and the few steps ive taken havent been able to help me fix my low mic volume, even with a 3db mic boost

Go To:
Start and then to Run
Type in sndvol32.exe and press Enter
If Microphone is not in the list then click on Options and then on Properties
Scroll down in the Show the following volume controls: area and make sure to put a check in the box next to Microphone and then click OK
Check and make sure the Volume is turned up and that the Mute box is not checked[/b]
Now click on the Advanced Button and in the new window click the Mic Boost box so it is checked.

Now go to:
Start and the Control Panel
Then go to Sounds And Audio Devices
Click On the Audio Tab and in the Sound Recording are make sure your Sound Card is the Default Device
If not please click on the Drop Down Menu and change it

Now click on the Voice Tab and in the Voice Recording are make sure your Sound Card is the Default Device
If it is not then then please click on the Drop Down Menu and change it.
Click on Test Hardware to make sure everything is setup correctly.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you for the kind comments on my profile but Ferrari should get most of the credit as he had you on a great start for your system. He's a great member and I'm proud to say he and I work together alot.
Please let me know what the above steps shows and I will continue to assist as long as I can or you allow me to. :D