Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow boot, load, app start, (Not Responding) errors

• Please log in to reply

jcb123

jcb123

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey!

I recently changed several settings, in a command window I now can't locate, that had to do with how my computer communicates with other computers, servers, etc.

Senseless, since I don't network, develop or game, but they seemed like good things to initialize, so I did.

I fancy myself more knowledgeable than I am, thinking common sense instead of real knowledge.

Now I get painfully slow re-boot, app startup, page load, even execution of simple clickable commands, and the worst is that I am constantly getting (Not Responding) errors on virtually every application I use, especially Firefox!

Now, rather than learning my lesson, I'm tempted to disable things like ASLDR to try to speed things up, choosing to gleek my way into wrong-headed fixes instead of going back and undoing the damage!

Sorry I can't be more informative about what I changed, but I can't for the life of me find the options window where I opened all these tree branches and enabled all these protocols!!!

Thanks

jb

Advertisements

jcb123

jcb123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Anyone have any ideas on this??

HELP!!

JB

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
I would suggest a "Repair Install".

This will allow you to repair your Vista installation and keep all of your personal user account files, settings, and programs.

Follow the tutorial here http://www.vistax64....tall-vista.html

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You might try running a System Restore to a date before you made the changes to your system configurations. A lot of times that will straighten out changes that didn't work out the way you'd planned.