Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How to set up a file sharing home network between a win 7 laptop and w

• Please log in to reply

Ahmed455

Ahmed455

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My PC is connected to the router through ethernet cable and the laptop is connected wirelessly and I want to share files among the 2 devices . I browse the network on the win7 laptop and sometimes it detects the shared files on PC and sometimes it doesn't . What should I do ?

Advertisements

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Does the laptop "see" the other computer and just not the files or does it just not detect the other pc on the network? Also, how are you trying to share the files via a homegroup or windows files and folders sharing.

Ahmed455

Ahmed455

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The laptop sees the PC but the PC doesn't see the lap.

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
The following article is very good at explaining what to do to share files and printers between computers http://www.howtogeek...ndows-7-and-xp/

The important point is to ensure both computers are on the same workgroup.

Also, you can try flushing the dns cache on both computers as that can sometimes solve problems related to sharing files between pc's. To do this do the following: Go to start type cmd in the search box (or click run if using win. XP) -> Within the prompt that opens type ipconfig /flushdns

You should see the following message: flushdns2.gif

Thanks.

Ahmed455

Ahmed455

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Excellent atricle .
Thank you alot .