Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem Accessing Network Remotely

• Please log in to reply

rollrboy80

rollrboy80

• Pip
  • 1 posts
First of all thank you very much for taking the time to read this and double thank you if you are able to offer me any assistance. First off, here is the hardware i am running:
Router: Buffalo Air Station WZR-HP-G301NH
2 computers plugged into router useing ports one and 2, and a wireless netbook.
Computer 1: Dell computer running Fedore 12 with Amahi installed.
Internal IP address set to 192.168.11.10
Computer 2: Homebuilt computer running windows 7 64 bit.
Internal IP address 192.168.11.100 (I think)
Wireless computer is a MSI netbook, which I usually take to work.
What I am trying to do is to be able to remote into both of these computers from outside of my home network (ie. While Im at work.) I have no trouble connecting at home from my laptop, using TightVNC to the Linux machine, by just entering its IP address (192.168.11.10) and getting into the Windows 7 machine by entering its IP address (192.168.11.100) in Windows Remote Desktop.
As for trying to access these from outside my network, I am able to VNC into the Linux machine by just entering the public (ISP Provided Dynamic) IP address. Everytime I have tried to connect using Windows Remote Desktop I get a "Server Cannot be Reached" error message.
As you can probably tell, Im fairly new to networking and am just learning as I go. Ive tried everything, disabling firewalls, port forwarding in my router from the router IP to port 3389 for the windows machine, setting port forwarding and exceptions in the fedore 12 firewall and shutting down the Linux machine, I should also add when I turn off the Linux machine the internet on my other computers stops working(exclamation mark on network indicator.)
Sorry for being such a noob, and help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
I suggest you follow this guide by Microsoft: http://windows.micro...ur-home-network
Bearing in mind that your computer will have to have a static IP address to ensure its IP address doesn't change.