Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wired network problem.

• Please log in to reply

Welshhobo

Welshhobo

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Ok, ive been using a wired connection to my router for the past year on my desktop and it has been working perfectly fine. A relative asked me to update her desktop, so i unplugged the ethernet cable from my desktop and into hers. Her computer is quite old and only had a 10mbps port, whilst mine has a 10/100/1000 mbps port. After successfully downloading all updates needed on her computer, i shut it down, and plugged my ethernet cable back into my computer. I turned on, to find that i no longer have an internet connection. The LED on the cable no longer turns on when plugged into either end (router or computer) and windows 7 troubleshooting says "The "Local Area Connection" adapter is not working properly. This is not a driver problem as i have the most up to date driver for the port and my Local Area Connection says that the Network Cable is unplugged.

I'm fairly convinced i have broken my cable during transition from my relatives computer to mine, but just want confirmation of this before i go and buy them (they're dirt cheap to buy anyway).

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
They are dirt cheap and not very robust and can be damaged fairly easily. But not normally if simply unplugged and plugged back in, unless the wire was yanked on.

So before buying a new cable (though next time at the store, pick one up anyway) power down and UNPLUG your computer from the wall (or turn off the master power switch on the back of your PSU if it has one). Then unplug your router for about 15 - 30 seconds. Then power up your router again and wait for the lights to settle down, then your computer again and see if you get a connection. This assumes, BTW, that your computer is set to get an IP dynamically using DHCP.

Welshhobo

Welshhobo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Worked :) Thanks man.

I thought it may have something to do with reassigning LAN addresses but wasn't sure. I did turn off my router in an attempt to reset it but it made no difference. This worked though.

Thanks

Edited by Welshhobo, 10 September 2010 - 09:21 AM.