Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help with first gaming computer build

• Please log in to reply

redhotneon

redhotneon

• Pip
  • 2 posts
so im looking at building my first computer and i basically have only a week of reading online info for experience. im looking to keep it around or under $1k as im not a hardcore gamer but i would like to play a mmorpg or two. ive made a wishlist on newegg.com basically off of people reviews and a little research online. im open to suggestions and input. if i missed something in my build please point me in the right direction. thanks in advance.

http://secure.newegg...Number=14454152

Advertisements

redhotneon

redhotneon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Anyone?

Mason24

Mason24

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hey, we are in the same boat. I'm going to just go for a barebone kit for my first build, that way i know everything is compatible aswell i read a pc building for Dummies lol, it was a little out dated but i still learned a ton from it. Goodluck with your build. Sorry i couldn't give you any advice :)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

A good build that will work well but needs a couple of adjustments.

Mob is good, this is your Gigabyte page bookmark it or save to favoriets > http://www.gigabyte....spx?pid=3440#sp
Go to the page and note there are 2 versions. version 2 has Gigabyte Sata chipset version 1 does not. When ordering, contact Newegg and find out which one they are supplying. It is not stated on the website.

RAM. What you have selected is NOT compatable. You need DDR3. 2x2GB = 4GB. In the lower speed there is not a lot of choice, On your Mobo page, right hand side, click on memory support list. click on your region and a list will appear. This is a list of parts that have been tested and will work on your Mobo. Other ram would probable work. but have not been tested.

CPU. Good.

DVD. Good.

Video Card. Good. this is the web page >
http://www.sapphiret...sn=0001&pid=341 Just so you can check system requirements.

Hard Drive. OK, I would spend an extra $10 for the black edition for the 32MB catch AND if you can stretch I would get this drive Western Digital Caviar Blue WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive to use for your OS and programs and the other drive for storage.

PSU. Good.

Case is OK but I prefer the PSU at the bottom and a fan in the top of the case, other may well disgree.

OS. 64bit, a good choice.

Please post back.

Edited by iammykyl, 13 September 2010 - 04:49 AM.