Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with Microsoft Outlook

• Please log in to reply

Posadas

Posadas

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok,long story short.

I can not send emails via Microsoft outlook when my email account settings are my work server for both incoming and outgoing. I am not working off-line, the passwords are correct. I receive emails fine. I can get on the internet, I can even send emails directly from my business server: communigate. I've called my company repeatedly as well as Frontier.

I tried setting the outgoing server to my Frontier server log-in but can't get emails to people in my company. The company swears everything is set up right. I was able to go to Panera and log onto my Outlook and send emails although it took for ever to send them. I'm pretty sure it is my service provider or router but Frontier swears there are no firewalls on anything. They told me to try to send emails by typing in the whole address in Outlook instead of selecting them from the contacts list. This did not work the emails sat in my outbox. I got the router password from Frontier and teh tech guy from my work remote accessed my computer and took out the firewall on the router. Now he is saying that port 1025 and25 are blocked. Frontier swears this is not happening. Anyone have any ideas on what is going on with outlook?

Edited by Posadas, 10 September 2010 - 12:21 PM.

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Where are the ports blocked, at the router level or your machine? Your ISP could be blocking those ports as well as most do for spam control purposes.

Most companies that use SMTP for outgoing email use a VPN. Perhaps you should speak to your IT department.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Port 25 is frequently blocked as an anti-spam measure and was blocked by Frontier at one time, whether it still is I do not know but try this.
configure all your email accounts to use smtp.frontiernet.net as your outgoing mail server for each account in Outlook.

1025 is often blocked by Security ie Firewall see this
http://www.24hourweb...ck/outlook2007/

however this may be solved when you try my first suggestion for the port 25

Edited by Macboatmaster, 10 September 2010 - 01:38 PM.

Posadas

Posadas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for the responses! I really appreciate them. It looks like the port was blocked. I spent like 3 hours on the phone continuing to call Frontier until someone knowledgeable answered. It was at that point I found out Frontier blocked both 25 and 1025. Once Frontier fixes this it should work. Well, if I'm not back then you know it's fixed! Thanks again!

BTW- I tied the smtp.frontiernet.net suggestion but then I couldn't send emails to anyone in my company. At least a few clients received them.

Edited by Posadas, 15 September 2010 - 10:07 PM.