Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Parallel Port Printer & Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

J56D

J56D

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,
I just bought a new computer with Windows 7 64 Bit Professional. I am trying to hook up a HP LaserJet 4P Parallel Printer.
I tried a Parallel Port to USB converter with no luck.
Next I installed a SIIG Cyber Parallel PCI card and still no printing.
I updated the PCI driver and printer driver to Windows 7 64 bit with no luck.
I uninstalled and reinstalled and still nothing.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
According to HP this printer will work under Windows 7 with the default driver, so you shouldn't have to install anything else with it.

From HP's website:

LaserJet model specific printer drivers are currently available within the Windows 7 operating system. Installation of these drivers can be performed via Devices and Printers , formerly known as the Add Printer Wizard .

NOTE: If the model specific driver that you are looking for does not appear in the list of available printers, clicking the Windows Update button underneath the list of available printers may provide additional drivers to choose from. Requires opt-in to Microsoft Windows Update and Internet connection.

parallel printers are not hotpluggable like USB ones are. The drivers need installing BEFORE you turn it on.