Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Asus K8V SE Motherboard Won't Post

• Please log in to reply

classactdynam

classactdynam

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all! I just learned of your community from a friend of mine after you helped his wife with a malware problem. Here is my issue. I have a system which is built on an Asus K8V SE Motherboard. It has been working fine for about seven years now. About two months ago, I decided it would be good to replace a few key parts and add some memory to extend the life of this computer until I was out of graduate school.

I purchase 3 1GB sticks of DDR 400 Memory. I also added a new Seagate 250GB Sata Harddrive. I upgraded from Windows 2000 to Windows XP. Everything went smoothly, and I enjoyed my reinvigorated computer for about two weeks. Then, as I was working one day, the computer froze. When I rebooted, the motherboard would not post. The monitor does not even recognize that the computer has been turned on; it still says 'no signal'. I thought maybe one of the sticks of memory had failed, but I replaced them with the older sticks of memory, and there was no change. I started unplugging on piece of hardware at a time and rebooting to see if I could find a faulty part, but nothing worked. The only parts I did not try were the processor (under a large heatsink) and the video card.

The computer makes no warning beeps when I try to boot. Also, there are speakers attached and I get no recorded messages of problem with the motherboard. I am at a loss as to what is causing this problem or how to run more tests. The path of least resistance if the mobo is dead is to just pay between $40 and $70 to replace the mobo and ride this computer until I have a real job in about two years. But, if there is possibly a much simpler answer, I would like to avoid wasting any money doing something unnecessary.

Thank you in advance for any help you might be able to offer.

Cheers,

Classactdynamo!

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Did you try another PSU (power supply unit)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
I am with Alzeimer on this one.

Do you hear any noise from the PSU?
Is the fan on the PSU spinning?
Is the light on the main board on? The one that indicates 5vdc present.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

The computer makes no warning beeps when I try to boot. Also, there are speakers attached and I get no recorded messages of problem with the motherboard. I am at a loss as to what is causing this problem or how to run more tests. The path of least resistance if the mobo is dead is to just pay between $40 and $70 to replace the mobo and ride this computer until I have a real job in about two years. But, if there is possibly a much simpler answer, I would like to avoid wasting any money doing something unnecessary.

Sounds like a dead board. Assuming you've tried the obvious, such as new PSU, removing all the memory, unplugging everything from the board, etc, then I'd be inclined to argue the board or processor are dead.

If the board's dead, that's a Socket 754 board. They are still available for what it's worth but you may buy a new board and find out the processor's dead. If the processor's dead the machine's effectively scrap as the processors are no longer available.

classactdynam

classactdynam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The power supply sends power because it actvates all the fans, and I can hear the hard drives spinning. Is there any way to know if the processor is dead, or am I taking a risk that if I replace the mobo that the processor is actually dead? Thank you for your help.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Fans turning and hd moving does not mean your PSU is working properly, a fried PSU would not deliver any power and a non stable PSU will deliver some power but not enough to initiate the processor and with no processor not working a motherboard will not boot. Your problems might indicate a faulty PSU and the only way to be sure it is not your PSU the problem is to try a known good PSU in its place.

If with a good PSU your motherboard still does not start then you will know it is either your motherboard, your processor or both.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
What are the specs for your psu, brand/model/output and its age, also video card brand/model and age, if either one is 7yrs old it could be the culprit, below are a couple of suggestions;
1:Try connecting the computer to another screen (a laptop with a vga port will do) use the opportunity to inspect the pc to monitor lead, look for bent pins in the end connectors.
2:Remove the video card and then re-seat it securely, check the slot for dust and clean if necessary.
3:Clear the CMOS by removing the MBs CR2032 battery for a few moments and then replace it (use a new one if possible) upon boot up if the screen works you will need to enter the BIOS, re-set the time and date, save and exit.
4:Swap out the psu for a known good one.
5:Try a standard pci video card like this http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item2309dc99f4 (used as an example only)
As you have upgraded components inside your case before you may be aware of the following advice but here it is anyway, remove the power cord from the wall before opening up the computer and take anti static precautions before touching any components, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case.
Hopefully one of the above will resolve the issue, if not you are looking at the MB, CPU or both and further testing will be needed, let us know how it goes.

Also, there are speakers attached and I get no recorded messages of problem with the motherboard.

This facility needs to be enabled in the BIOS and a case speaker connected to a 4 pin header on the MB so if both are not done you will not get any error message.