Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

xp back to vista

• Please log in to reply

angie610

angie610

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi when this system was brought it had windows vista on it, but sometime last year a family friend put on a copy of windows xp and I keep getting warning messages that this is fake and blocks a lot of stuff too, I would like to get it back to vista and hopefully sell it and buy a new laptop. I also keep getting a weird sound from my hard drive like a motor which was not there before this copy was put on. I have o restore disks or windows disks as nothing came with the pc. Can someone please help?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If the computer had a hidden partition from which Vista could be restored, and if the partition was not wiped during the XP installation, then there shouldn't be a big problem. Look in the user manual how to reset the computer to factory settings and follow the instructions.

If there is no partition then your only option is to borrow a vista CD (or get one from the computer manufacturer)of the same version that you had on your computer and reinstall vista, using the original product key.

I doubt if there is any connection between the noise from the hard disk and the fact that the operating system was changed. Sounds like the disk itself is not in a very good condition (worn bearings etc.)

angie610

angie610

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for that reply I have something else which is bothering me too, since this fake xp has gone on I am unaware what size my system is in order to buy a new windows operating system, and I cannot remember from before it is now Americanized which means nothing can someone therefore assist me in finding this out in English please?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts
Lets see if you have what looks like a recovery partition.
Then we will have to figure out the "before it is now Americanized".

Lets take a look at the drives and partitions.

Go to start
Go to run
Type in compmgmt.msc
Click on OK
On the left side under storage...click on disk management.
Make sure the right side showing the drives is expanded so we can see it all.
Take a screen shot showing the drives and partitions.

Attach it to your reply.