Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to go from from dual-boot OS to Windows 7 only?

• Please log in to reply

DCTF

DCTF

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I currently have a system built with two WD Velociraptor HDs.

One drive is split between Vista 64 Ultimate and standard XP 32-bit. The other stores my files.

Since buying a complete Windows 7 is expensive, I would like to buy the upgrade to switch Vista 64 to Windows 7. With Windows 7 I will no longer need XP, so I would like to reclaim the hard drive space at the same time.

Is this fairly straightforward? I assume all I need to do is:

- make sure all data I want to save from the OS hard-drive is backed up
- run the upgrade
- use disk management in the new Win7 install to reset the boundaries of the OS partition

... or is there more to it than this? Thanks in advance for your advice!

Edited by DCTF, 11 September 2010 - 10:32 AM.

Advertisements

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Bearing in mind that if you have windows vista ultimate 64bit you can only do an in-place upgrade to windows 7 ultimate 64bit. You are correct about the process: Backup any files you want, once win. 7 is installed you can go into disk management delete the partition for the windows XP OS and then you can expand the win. 7 partition to fill the disk. Other than that all you might have to do is delete windows XP from the boot menu which is easy enough (once your happy win. 7 is your only OS etc type msconfig into the search box on the start menu and hit enter -> go into the boot tab and delete the XP boot menu).

DCTF

DCTF

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks a lot Hendaz, you've been very helpful!

Curiously, I've just checked Amazon UK for the first time in a couple of months and it seems that it's possible to get the full install version of Windows 7 Ultimate more cheaply from some sellers than the price of the upgrade from anyone, and only for a couple of pounds more than the Home edition. Very strange indeed...