Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

black screen even in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

SOWAISAHMAD

SOWAISAHMAD

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My dELL Vostro 1510 laptop screen turns black after it shows the windows logo(after boot up screen). Only think i see on that black screen is a white cursor of my mouse. Pressed F8 and tried to boot in safe mode or other options like Recover Windows 7 or Safe Mode with Networking or Low VGA option but none of them works. All i see is a black screen with a white cursor of my mouse after the windows logo screen at start up. I am using Windows 7 and i first thought that my Windows crashed. So i tried to install a fresh copy of windows by booting in with Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP Cd's but the response is exactly same. After it says "Press any key to boot from CD" it shows a black screen. I freaked out and thought Hard drive is dead but when i put the hard drive in somebody else laptop, it was working. I ran diagnostic test on my memory card. Passed it! which means its working fine too. Also i took the memory cards out and put them back in but nothing different happen. Since nothing was working for me i ran the UBUNTU dvd in live mode just to see if that works and it worked. At least it passed the black screen after initial boot up but i found out there are 2 things that are not working. These 2 things are mouse and keyboard. I plugged in USB mouse and keyboard and bingo i am good to use UBUNTU. I though the issue could be with mouse and Keyboard so i keep external USB mouse and keyboard plugged in and tried to restart in windows but the situation is still the same. Now here i am and have no clue what to do now. Can't do anything with Windows because i can't pass the black screen no matter what i do. Tested hard drive and memory card and i think they both are working fine. Couldn't be the issue with motherboard or processor because then how would i be able to run UBUNTU live dvd. Mouse couldn't be broken because i see a white mouse cursor on the black screen and i can move it 2. Keyboard couldn't be broken because i can use the keyboard to change boot up options. I would really appreciate if somebody can help me with this?

Thanks

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
Hi SOWAISAHMAD :) sorry to hear you are having a black screen issue.
Please read the article at the attached link and see if you are able to follow the instructions to resolve your issue.
http://www.prevx.com...sta-and-XP.html
Good luck and let us know how it goes.