Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how do I backup my hard drive?

• Please log in to reply

Thurman

Thurman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I get an error message at startup saying " hard disk failure is imminent. please back up your files immediately." I can hit F2 and my system starts up and seems to perform normally. I did a system restore to a checkpoint of the day before I started receiving the error message, but the message still appears. I have two HDDs installed in my desktop. I want to know how to copy all my files on my boot drive(HDD) approx. 124GB of 500GB, to my other HDD thats 250GB and is formatted NTFS (empty).

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Using system restore to get rid of this type of problem does not work. System Restore can only rectify OS & application problems, not hardware problems.

Because Windows is installed on the drive which is failing, you will need to perform a "disk to disk" copy using special software, also referred to as "cloning" software.
There is a free disk-to-disk copying software here: http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/

However, because the drive could fail completely at any moment, you should first manually copy your own files to CDs or DVDs before they disappear forever! Don't use the second hard disk for this purpose 'cos you will need to keep that empty for the disk-to-disk copy.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 12 September 2010 - 02:49 AM.

Thurman

Thurman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you phillipcorcoran for the advise. I greatly appreciate it!